Cutting roses

What month should roses be cut Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

Martha

Srgnt Billko

Srgnt

I am in Northern California, San Jose.

Marth

"Martha" news:45bd631d$0$68954$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net..

Depends on what zone you are in.[/quote:4dd567b27e Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

Martha

So what ZONE is that ? I'm not interested in looking it up myself. Gardening schedules are recommended by "zone", not by city.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Reply to
pulic emeny

That's an old map. The zones have changed.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

It also depends on the cultivar.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

how bout

pulic emeny

It looks like I am between zone 9A and 9B

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote i message

Reply to
Martha

2006:
zone changed drastically, but I'm still not buying into it. I'll continue, at least for the next 3-4 years, to treat the plants I grow as being 5b. The new map, however, shows us as zone 6. The changes were quite drastic, especially for the midwest, with some areas increasing by two zones, while some mountain areas went down two zones.

Global warming, anyone?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Looks like my zone is still the same as before, I am in 9A/9B

Does anyone know what month I should cut my roses

pulic emeny said

messag

2006

zone changed drastically, but I'm still not buying into it. I'l

continue, at least for the next 3-4 years, to treat the plants I gro a being 5b. The new map, however, shows us as zone 6. The changes wer quit drastic, especially for the midwest, with some areas increasing b tw zones, while some mountain areas went down two zones.

Global warming, anyone

Reply to
Martha

what kind of roses do you have?

Reply to
Hopper

As important as the zone you're in, what kind of rose? What cultivar? Some produce buds on new growth, some on old wood, and some on both. They aren't all treated the same.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden.

Reply to
Steveo

[snip]

Martha, it doesn't look like anyone wants to answer your question. I don't think roses are that sensitive. For tea roses, bush roses and climbers, I'd

(1) Cut flowers when freshly blooming if I wanted to put them into a vase; (2) Deadhead old blooms whenever I had time in the garden (3) In severe climates, trim them back when they went dormant in the fall, then cover them with straw or mulch to protect them from severe low temperatures (4) In other locations, deadhead them as they went tormant, then prune them back to get new growth once things have started to warm in the springtime.

There's a bunch of more specific information at

Although it pertains to Illinois, you'll see help for specific types of roses and should be able to extrapolate to California. Regards --

Reply to
JimRd