Another raccoon

trapped in the hav-a-hart. Thos traps have been busy this year. I think that's 7 total so far.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

on 7/3/2007 12:43 PM Chas Hurst said the following:

Mine go in the witness protection program. :-)

Reply to
willshak

What do you do with the trapped 'coon?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Whatever the law allows.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I have caught 23 and a friend of mine has got 36. We are over run with them. They have killed 35 chickens of another friends. They have tore up my squirrel feeder and working on my bird feeder now. You know the buzzards need something to eat too.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

LOL!

Reply to
Steveo

A 22 slug behind the ear.

Reply to
Steveo

It is illegal in Oregon as per Oregon Fish & Wildlife. Releasing spreads germs. Also you are teaching the animal about traps making the problem more severe in the new location. In Oregon coons are a game animal and you must obtain a permit to trap them. Or have a valid hunting license and obey the hunting regulations.

Reply to
Pat

Should I reposition the security cams ? I'm trying for woodchucks - the coons and opossums are just mistakes. I don't think they are bothering anything in the garden / orchard.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I don't have time to sit and wait for a chuck to come out. I'm using peanut butter on pieces of apple. The traps are on a property I own about 6 miles from where I live.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Maybe someone like Frank is dropping off the 'coons at your place.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I'd shoot the woodchucks. Maybe change the bait to something less attractive to 'coons and possums, or close the traps at night.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

This was the last one:

a year ago. Saw him in bird feeder on deck, trapped on patio under deck and took him for a ride. Little guy's living happily in a state park. Tried to catch his daddy but he was too big for my trap. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Coon is good eating. A prepared prime pelt has some value.

Reply to
Pat

There is the endemic rabies threat around here. I'm very careful about handling these critters. Also, at the time, I had a freezer full of venison. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Ditch the peanut butter. Go with plain apples. Even better might be to add in small pots with lettuce or broccoli plants in them. And there are commercial attractants for woodchucks that actually help. See here:

Pat Kiewicz