Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Modifying and starting with components in my earthmachine
I have to install, begin using, or fill my my To start out with I have two garbage cans of grass clippings. I also have a kitchen compost keeper basket. I don't know how much my small kitchen...
6
6

New Lawn from Seed
Hi 10 days ago i seeded a lawn (measuring 14m x 2m). I've been keeping it moist throughout this period. I am now getting a little worried that the new lawn is looking rathe "thin". Lots of blades have...
13
13

guess who is out of retirement? The toro
The Sears repair guy is coming out to look at the new mower AGAIN, as I told the salesman at the local store, I want to return the unit because I am not happy with it. The sales guy (not a kid) said...
4
4

Something to kill crabgrass
We have a steep hill which cannot be mowed. It is planted with creeping junipers, and until they fill out, clover ground cover. Lately crabgrass has taken over. Since it cannot be mowed, it has the...
4
4

Dark Green Grass Circles in Lawn - WHY?
I have a very strange problem regarding my lawn that has perplexed me and my wife as well as my neighbors. Specifically, in recent weeks, our lawn has developed bright green circles of grass amidst...
3
3

Removing small roots from lawn
I'm transplanting some grass from healthy areas of my lawn that I'm trimming back, to thin areas in several spots. The grass is thin and not really growing probably due to rocky soil (heavy gravel...
38
38

Lawnmowers with recycling
I would be grateful for help on the selection of mowers which recycle the cuttings. Recommendations on make, choice of drive (petrol or electric) and advice on what to avoid would be most welcome....
14
14

Controlling Mosquitoes
Eco labs make serveral products that will not harm your fish but will prevent mosquitoes from hatching. You can find mosquito dunks, mosquito bits hide a dunks and Liquid Biological Control at...
8
8

Extravagant Luxury Hotel for my Dog
It's such a pleasure to see little four-feet wagging in on their way to Wag Hotels. It hurts to see them feeling left out, at some kennel when we take a vacation. But Wag is no cheap kennel; it's a...

Something similar to Black-Eye Susans?
I saw some flowers that looked like purple Black-Eye Susans. It turns out they were purple Coneflowers. Is there something similar to Black-Eye Susans, but in different colors? Something perennial...
6
6

Skunks
Something getting into my garbage cans so I baited my Hav-a-hart with peanut butter and caught a skunk on patio under deck about 9 last night. Momma skunk in trap was surrounded by her 4 children who...
4
4

garden pest question?
I'm trying to figure out what type of underground pest I have destroying my lawn--completely destroying it! All I've been doing lately is to wake each morning and see the new soil mound. At first I...
3
3

Day lilies aren't blooming.
I have day lilies in several areas. They are all doing fine, except 3 that I have on the south side of the house. They are in full sun. They have big buds on them, but they don't open. There are no...
6
6

Lawn weeds
Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anybody could give m some advice. I have a problem with Yarrow in my lawn, I have tried th usual lawn weedkillers available from the garden center but...
1
1

Can I make a mulching attachment for my Toro mower?
I asked this of a forum is a link to a pic of the no longer available Toro Leaf Shredder Kit No. 59101 (optional) for my lawnmower: a 1985/86 Toro 18" push 164cc Tecumseh Model 20762C under, Look Up...