Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Where do I start? Help!
Hi All, Where do I start? I bought a house 3 Years ago that needed total renovation. Now it's time for the garden! I've around thirty five 100 ft pine trees around the edges of my garden. I've taken...
1
1

Honda isy hanle too low
Although not super tall 6'2" , I find the handle height on my honda Isy too low and it gives me back ache. Anybody got any ideas on how to make it a couple of inches higher ( not longer ) without...
4
4

Laying turf advise!
Hello, I have had experience in laying lots of turf in the past, but have been asked to quote a price to lay a garden of 55m x 11.5m. I estimate that this requires 604 rolls of turf, but would like to...

Strange plant/weed/fungus in garden
Hello, first post so please excuse me if i'm posting in the wrong forum. I have just moved into a new house with my wife and daughters, we have a nice garden but its been a bit neglected over the...
2
2

Tomorrow, I'm going hunting.
Got my 2 gallon pump sprayer loaded with weed killer, all ready to walk around my acre of property and hunt for dandelions, plantain, clover, ground ivy, and whatever else that doesn't look like...
6
6

Lawn Is Patchy, What Would You Do?
Saki, can't believe it, this is my lawn exactly. We have re-turfed twice to no avail. We have aerated and raked over the bald patches then dressed with topsoil and reseeded, nothing doing. We have...
5
5

How to get rid of weed in grass
I've tried many times to pluck out the weed from newly growing grass --but after a while it keeps coming back and more. I would appriciate any suggestions.
2
2

Should the soil be compacted after seeding grass?
I just removed the old grass and weeds, tilled the soil and reseeded the area with new grass seeds. Then lightly covered the seeds with soil. Since the soil is very loose, the grass could be easily...
1
1

replacing check valve
Putting a new pump on my 22' well. I'm also replacing the vertical check valve just above surface. Will the pump pick up water without priming the well? To prime it, I'd have to find a way to push the...
2
2

Fertilize and overseed
Hi. I want to fertilize my lawn and I also want to overseed it. Which should I do first and how long should I wait to do the other? Thanks.
4
4

Laying a new lawn
Hello All, It has been many years since I did any gardening - the last time was over 20 years ago as a child - and I have no experience whatsoever with lawns. I am starting again now with a new house....
6
6

Ground nesting bees?
Hi - new poster here. Wonder if anyone can help. My front garden has seen a large number o small piles of earth form with a hole in the middle. There are probabl about 50 of them at a conservative...
2
2

What work gloves do you use for heavy infestation of poison oak & ivy (covered in urushiol)?
What work gloves do you use for repeated immersion in very heavy impenetrable thickets of poison oak & poison ivy? I'm covered in black poison urushiol from head to toe! So far, these are the gloves...
10
10

Weed Blocker for fruits/veggies?
It's getting near time to plant some tomatos, onion, peas, etc. I'm planning on expanding my tiny garden into some of the lawn area. I'll get rid of some of the grass (and weeds) and then turn and add...
6
6

what next?
Hi, I am a novice gardener and am attempting to sort out my lawn. Which has a fair bit of moss and weeds. I aerated the lawn last week and put some sharp sand down. The next day applied evergreen 1:4...
1
1