Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Caution about wheat straw
Back in June we put out grass seed. We covered it with wheat straw. Wife got some itches and thought it was chiggers. I got a couple little discolored spots on chest and on wrist. We've been to the...
1
1

Bad Lawn - 2nd Year Running - Any Advice
Hi, two pics give an idea of the problem. My lawn has a slope, the grass on which looks in very poor condition and has done for the last 2 years. I water regularly and cut with a Qualcast cylinder,...
3
3

Lawn Experts, please help - New Turf Lawn Dying
I posted a thread to this site a few weeks ago "New Turf Lawn Dying? - Help please" and sadly no reply yet. am in the UK, but good lawn advice must surely apply the world over. Can any of you good...
8
8

Life after conifers
I'm in the process of clearing the garrden of my new house of a number of conifers. They (Leylandii or similar) have been there a reasonable amount of time. I'd guess from what I know about the...
4
4

Japanese Beetles vs. my lawn
Japanese Beetles have finally made it to Minnesota and they're tearing up the garden big time. Conventional wisdom says it's a waste of time to treat the lawn for grubs unless you can convince...
8
8

Can You Apply Lawn Fertilizer and Grub Control At The Same Time??
Not sure if this question has been asked here already, but just wondering if you can apply lawn fertilizer and a separate grub control product at the same time. A few days ago, we just applied the...

Lawn Tractor Engine Problem
I have a 6 y.o. Troybilt riding mower with a 19 hp B&S engine. When I try to start it, it wouldn't start but was able to jump start. However, it runs very rough with lots of smoke for a few seconds...
1
1

Roundup Question ?
I have a small flower planting area of about 25 sq. ft. When I plant flowers in it each summer, the weeds come up so bad, I can keep up with weeding it each week. (I also much about 3 or 4 inches, but...
4
4

NPK Fertiliser and dogs
HI everyone, I am very new to all this gardening business, having put down some fertiliser I am now concerned about allowing our dog out on the lawn. Does anyone know how long after I have put down...

Does Poulan Make a Pole 'trimmer'?
Not a pruner. I know they make a pole chain saw for pruning, but I need a hedge-trimmer like cutter that sits on a telescoping pole, like the chain saw does. I have their pole-chain saw pruner, but it...

Lawn mower starting problem.
Hi all, I have a Flymo Lawnchief 400 that works fine, apart from the starting pulley. Basically I have to pull it really, really quick to get it to engage, it seems that I would need to replace the...

Staph infection
We had a large Walnut tree uprooted by a tornado several weeks ago. We got around to getting the spot leveled and several other trees a couple weeks ago. We used wheat straw over the grass seed. Wife...

is my lawn under watered? *pictures*
hello, I have just taken interest in my garden, and found that at the back of my garden there is a big 1/4 circle of a mixture of green grass and brown grass together above this there is a massive...
1
1

What Feed + Weed?
Can anyone recommend an economical way to feed + weed the lawn at our new house? It's about 1100 sqm and has quite a lot of clover and dandy lion in it. To be honest, the lawn seems pretty healthy...
5
5

turf turning to straw
hi guys just joined need your help !! recently i had my back garden turfed at a cost of £400 this was just for turf and labour i waited 3 weeks before i used it and in that time i kept it waterd as...
6
6