Bought an old house with many cracks

Happy new year everyone, I felt like I made a mistake by buying this house at the beginning of 2020, the lady owner who sold this house to me obviously couldn’t look after it as the house was in a such condition where i had to replace the roof the gutters, the sewer cast iron pipe, water heater, there were drainage issues along the left side of the foundation, overflowing downspouts etc.. lots of things were wrong, I hired a house Inspector before buying and I didn’t care about the cracks as the property inspector even didn’t think that they were important, after i bought the property I then decided to bring a structural engineer which i should have done this before buying but hey this is a lesson.

Structural engineer basically said those cracks were result of a slight differential movement, he added that there are no cracks on the bricks which is good, so keep monitoring those cracks.. since I bought the property I have spent around $25K to replace roof and anything and everything, i am working with a property management company as well as a very experienced contractor, no sloping floors, no new cracks or cracks in the repaired cracks appeared since I bought the house ( around 3.5 years) None of the cracks are wider than 1 / 4 inch, i think they are about 1 / 8 , but one crack has allowed water inside and it can be seen from inside of the property, but those cracks been repaired by DWYER, this rental house is in Cincinnati so the weather is very cold in the winter, hot in the summer. lots of rain, my contractor assured me that this is not a structural issue, so the structural engineer told me that the house has no structural problems

Cracks are mainly on the corners and under windows , on the side there are 3 cracks, and there are some at the (garden side) back of the house, i am posting some photos also, my question is that i was very concerned about these cracks, but it has been 3.5 years and no sign of movement, if there was a bad case of settlement, how long would it take to see some more cracks around the house, do you think that 3.5 years of any new crack is a good sign? we are still monitoring those cracks, many thanks for all the advice & answers in advance

read more and respond »

Posted 1 year ago by Berc Er in Home Repair

Report misuse

Image for Bought an old house with many cracks