York Heat Pump will not turn off

I need some help. I have a York Heat pump unit with a Honeywell basic thermostat (unit also serves as an AC in summer). Evereything has been working fine until this weekend when we discovered that the outside compressor unit would not turn off. Nothing I would do to the thermostat would make the thing turn off outside. I ended up pulling the disconnect at the pigtail outside to get it to shut off.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this or should I call a professional?

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 28013 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
davidjohnson

On 02 Feb 2009 02:45:41 GMT, jetservice_at_sbcglobal_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (davidjohnson) left spaces for comments ):

The contactor is stuck closed.

Reply to
The King

davidjohnson had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- The K> On 02 Feb 2009 02:45:41 GMT, jetservice_at_sbcglobal_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com

How difficult is the contactor to repair and or replace? I appreciate your help

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 28017 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
davidjohnson

:

If you have to ask, then you need to call a pro

Reply to
Steve

:

It will be real difficult for you to repair or replace. You are way out of your league here. Better call a pro before you kill yourself and/or your family.

Reply to
Jim Dandy

Extremely difficult. To do this job properly it takes many years of supervised on-the-job training.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

On 02 Feb 2009 03:19:49 GMT, jetservice_at_sbcglobal_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (davidjohnson) left spaces for comments ):

Its so easy a girl could do it.

Reply to
The King

A caveman could do it too, if he had the proper certification.

Reply to
Jim Dandy

Its really quite simple to repair. First you will need a belt sander. Take the little spring thingy out of the contactor. Now remove the top portion of the contacts. Glue it to a piece of wood with Gorilla Glue. Now run the belt sander with #80 grit paper over the contacts for about 5 minutes Now for the lower contacts. For this you will need some muratic acid. Pour about a cup over the lower contacts. Let this sit for about 1/2 hr. Now be sure and rinse it all off with a hose. Finally, reassemble and set the heat pump thermostat back to heat. Note: This will all work a lot faster if you make sure the contactor has power applied to it at all times. Bring some marshmallows. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Replace. It's an electrical part, so you'll need some experience with troubleshooting. There may be more than one contactor, and need to replace the correct one. And to get it wired correctly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've found that most people who know how to do something.... just go ahead and do what's needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can think of a few people who should never replace an electrical part for any reason. We havn't met the OP, s/he may very well be competent to the job. However, were s/he competent, the job would been done by now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 21:37:28 -0500, "Stormin Mormon" left spaces for comments ):

Yeah, you for one...

Reply to
The King

So, all in all, you could have said the above with ZERO words. Right?

Reply to
HVAC