What triggers defrosting in a Tempstar SmartComfort TX 5300?

I am wanting to check to see if there is a possible problem created in my Air Handler which might be happening when the Heat Pump enters into a defrost cycle, but I'm not sure how long I have to wait until one occurs.

The weather here is highs in the 50's and lows in mid 30's (northern Kentucky).

I have seen two designs for triggering defrosts but I'm not sure which Tempstar uses. I am suspecting its timed, but does that mean I would only need to wait about 2 hours till one occurred, or do they only start when the outside temps get down to a certain degree?

This is the unit with 10 year compressor warranty and R410A refrigerant.

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
usethisone2007

hmmm . 410A huh ? then its not that old

why dont you try conatcting the installing party, ???????

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Handler which might be happening when the Heat Pump enters into

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Because the 'installing party' is who I suspect may have installed it incorrectly and I don't trust whatever answer they would give me.

So I am asking here. I couldn't find any info on it on the internet, so far.

Phil

Reply to
usethisone2007

Don't know that model in particular but here's some generalities. The air handler is typically not aware that the outside unit has gone into defrost. Most, no matter how they trigger a defrost cycle, they usually will have a way on the defrost board to start the cycle. That's so the service guy doesn't have to wait for one to initiate. The paperwork with the unit should give some details or you might find it on the web.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Reply to
Desiree Renish

A 5 amp fuse was found to have shut down the entire system. I called the installer of the 8 month old HP to do a service call. The Air Handler is 9 years old.

Service guy only opened the AH first said, "This is a Trane unit, you better call a Trane guy because I won't have any parts to fix it."

I thought this sounded very strange as I asked him specifically before hand if he would be willing to take a look at the unit. Having done my research before hand I then mentioned that there was a 5 amp fuse in there that might be bad. Thats when he mentioned "I'm looking at that right now." And I saw him pull it out and check it. It was indeed bad and was replaced. He then had me restart the system and it worked.

My problem is that he then simply asked for his check and wanted to go. No other checks or tests to the system. He waited until the HP came on, then was out the door. He didnt even wait around until it cylcled through a complete heating cycle. I kept asking him about what may have blown the fuse and he had no real idea. I had suspected it may have been something to do with the defrost cycle, but as far as I know, he did nothing to test that theory, or even test anything else like refrigerant levels, etc. He charged a full service call amount, but was gone within 15 minutes, literally.

So, I am wanting to know how long I would have to wait until the unit goes into its defrost unit, as evidence that the fuse didn't blow because of some issues with its defrost cycle. (Its only been in heat mode about 3 weeks and its not been below 32 yet)

thats the background

phil

Reply to
brian

Reply to
Robert M

Reply to
Tony

They used demand defrost then switched back again to time/temp. After your coil sensor reaches a preset temp, your timing starts. Its prob set for 30 mins but can be 45 or 90. If the sensor opens at any time, the timing starts over again before you will see a defrost. You can also speed up the defrost timing with the test pins but I dont want to go into how to do it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Then why are you here typing, Tony? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Although it sounds like the guy did no diagnosing, the 15 min and what you paid is not the issue. I mean, a well educated tech could find the problem quickly while the 21 yr old new techie might spend 4 hrs finding it. Which would you feel better paying the "full service call" amount to? By the way, since Im in this area, which company did you call? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bullshit, upon defrost every f****ng heat pump condensor I've ever worked on issues a call for heating.

Momentarily jump the "tst pin

Reply to
Simon Schnizzard

Because I like to Do I make you uncomfortable yes? Tony

Reply to
Tony

Tony, All kidding aside, really, you've got to tell me what language you speak. After all this time I still dont have it figured out. Maybe there's actually a reason you type the way you do? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Yes it does, if the defrost board is working properly, or there are no broken wires

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Why would you put a new HP on a 9 yo air handler. Is the system an ARI match. Sounds like you are in for many years of problems, and possibly even higher electric bills. I do believe your warranty may be voided too!

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Why! Has the system been running that long consistently. Is the OD temp that cold. Where is the sensor located. Mismatched system.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo