Suction Valve wide open

Hello,

My AC unit recently stoped cooling as much as normal. I live in Arizona and during the day, the unit only cools to around 80 degrees. At night, it can keep up no problem. So, I called a service guy and he came out to look at it and told me that my suction valve was stuck wide open. According to him, this means my compressor is shot and needs to be replaced.

My current system is a Carrier 3.5 ton compresser with a 10SEER rating. It's 10 years old.

What I would like to do is keep my coil and gas furnace in place and just replace the condensor unit outside. Unfortunately, 10seer units are no-longer sold. I have talked to a couple companies and some say I can and some say I can't put a 13seer condensor in without replacing the coil and furnace.

So far, the best deal I've found is for a Bryant 12seer replacement unit.

Can anyone help me out here? I would like to know if I am going in the right direction here by just replacing the outside unit. I'm planning on being in the house another 5 years.

thanks for the help

Reply to
lca_maup99

YOU ARE A FOOL.

REPLACE IT ALL, INCLUDING THE THERMOSTAT.

YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

A condensing unit is designed to deliver cool liquid freon, and pump the heat out of vapor. Seems like it oughta work with your 10 seer coil. I'd do it if I was near you. As a ten seer, your coil probably has an orifice, not a TXV. It won't be as efficient, but like you say, you won't be there for very long.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chris...

Liquid refrigerant... at high pressure... is not 'cool'. Sometimes, it's rather hot.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

A condensing unit is designed to deliver high pressure, subcooled, liquid refrigerant to the evaporator.

While I am at it, the *PROPER* term is "refrigerant", "FREON" is a registered trademark of Dupont Corp.

Or didn't your boss teach you that.

Reply to
Noon-Air

By the time it gets to the expansion device, it ought to be near room temp.

On refrigeration systems, they physically atach the liquid and suction lines together. So that the refrigerant can be well below room temp when it reaches the expansion device.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In NYS, we have what's called a VIN, for every vehicle. Called a Vehicle Identification Number. Since it's on the dash, and visible through the glass, other states should have em too. I was at my insurance agent one time, and he asked for the VIN number. I replied you want the Vehicle Identification Number Number? He agrees it's multiply redundant. However, if you ask for the VIN, you get a blank look. Most folks, if you ask for the VIN number, you get the number.

I adjust my vocabulary now and again for the audience. In this case, I was adressing a home owner, who might not know the trade terms. Easier to say freon, than explain refrigerant.

In your case, stick it, you insulting jerk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is not a homoaner group. Please use professional vocabulary here.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

We're not talking about cars

Its easier and more profitable for me to explain the difference to my customers. I *LIKE* having informed customers. I guess you like to keep your customer in the dark.

Insulting?? I don't think so, but then I generally don't have to resort to name calling when I am proven wrong.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Quote:

My AC unit recently stopped cooling as much as normal. I live in Arizona and during the day, the unit only cools to around 80 degrees. At night, it can keep up no problem. So, I called a service guy and he came out to look at it and told me that my suction valve was stuck wide open. According to him, this means my compressor is shot and needs to be replaced.

So, with the suction valve stuck wide open, it still keeps it at 80-F indoors in Ultra HOT Arizona! Tell me how a reciprocating valve compressor is going to cool pump refrigerant when the suction valve allows the pressure to go back into the low side on every compression stroke of the piston.

Did the compressor get hot & go off on the thermo O/L? The cold Refrigerant vapor is what cools the compressor. I could be wrong but doubt that the suction valve is staying wide open! I wonder if the compressor is bad. (?) - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

We're not talking about cars CY: Examples don't always have to be taken from the same subject.

Easier

Its easier and more profitable for me to explain the difference to my customers. I *LIKE* having informed customers. I guess you like to keep your customer in the dark. CY: There is that insult, again.

Insulting?? I don't think so, but then I generally don't have to resort to name calling when I am proven wrong. CY: Can't remember the exact wording but "didn't your boss teach you that" implies that I have no ability to think -- only what I'm taught. Thus, the insult. I hoped you would appreciate the change in delivery, this being a mostly rude and ill mannered usenet group. You imply that your proved me wrong about something. Wrong.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good catch. I'd missed that. Cooling at all doesn't sound like a stuck valve.

Since he says it catches up at night, we can go down the usual list of reasons for poor cooling. Air flow comes to mind. Dirty condensor. It would help to have some pressures and temperatures.

Arizona tends toward dusty. Desert climate. My first guess is dirty condensor. Of course, replacing the outdoor unit would help. But would be serious over repair.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

balls you say! gruesome?

Reply to
DIMwit

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

By FEDERAL law you dipshit

Fuck you, you adjust your lies to suit the wind.

Say that to my face you shorts sniffer, I am tired of your baloney and if I could afford it physically and financially I would be up there tonight to prove you a first class grade A bonafide s*****ad.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

YOU DON'T YOU FUCKER!

Reply to
Tekkie®

I'd bash his head in with a rock.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

By the time I get to Phoenix, she'll be rising.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Such a gas!

I'd give a canned answer, myself.