reduce range hood vent size or elbow it all over the place?

I have a high performance range hood that I need to vent up and then sideways about 10 feet to the outside. The manufacturer requires a 7" round duct. In order to use a 7" duct I'll have to vent it up, put in a

90, run it across the top of my cabinets, put in a 45 to get in front of a joist, then another 45 to get back straight, then a 90 up, and then a 90 to go to the outside. If I reduce it to a 4" duct, I can go up, put in a 90 and go straight to the outside.

So, which is the lesser of the 2 evils? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Reply to
fourempties

If the manufacturer requires a 7" vent but a 4" will work much easier then by all means, reduce the vent size by almost 50%. It wont hurt a thing. The manufacturers usually take things to the extreme and allow for a lot of fudge factor. I would reduce it to 3" but NO smaller. 3" pipe is cheaper and will do the same job as the 4". You should be all set to go. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
fourempties

Reply to
Steve Scott

Reply to
Steve Scott

ROFLMAO... good reply.

Reply to
Murdentech

Lesson #1- don't ever expect a real answer to a real question on this thin rag of a bulletin board. Thought I would give it a try but all you self-professed experts who masquerade as real do-it yourselfers are more than a little pathetic. If anyone wants to seriously answer my question, I would be more than happy to enter a real dialogue. I wish I had a filter to screen out the mental midgets who feel the need to give their 2 cents to a question that someone is actually trying to get an answer to. Yes - I am talking to you Steve Scott, Bubba. Leave the basement once and awhile.

NO TIME FOR D> Let's see. Reduce the pipe size to less than 1/3 the manufacturer

Reply to
fourempties

Your welcome. Looks like maybe you are catching on. Would you like it drawn out in crayon form so its something clearer you can recognize? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Can't you just go up and vent it in the attic? That is what we do around here. An added bonus is that the air blown up in the attic helps heat it in the winter and cool it in the summer.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Area is based on the square of the diameter. So, 4 instead of 8 would be 1/4 the area.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First, refer to the book.

Second, since area relates to the square of the diameter, your 4 inch pipe is (about) a quarter of the area of the 7 inch.

My best SWAG is that the longer 7 inch pipe will flow a lot more air.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
no one that you know

Reply to
no one that you know

don't get too excited. Bubba's just clowning. Bubba don't answer any questions with anything but wisdom from his shrimp boat.

Forest

Reply to
DIMwit

Reply to