Can you please help with my homework?

I have been asked to arrange a quote to cool only an existing building (arena with bowl type seating) for summer use as now the conditions are unbearable during events.

I am thinking that 4 BIG units might be the way to go,one in each corner, probably splits.

I can't seem to find a design condition chart from ashrae or anyone else on google. It is a fairly moderate year round climate here, from memory I think we're talking around 80f summer but it hit the mid 90's two days ago.Just the people load would be 125 tons and 45,000 cfm o/air required..As this will be a major financial investment, I need to do it right the first time and any input on design considerations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Victoria B.C.

Indoor Conditions;24 C/75 F @ 50% RH

Design Conditions; ?

Occupancy load; 3000x500=1,500,000 btu

Square footage;280'x165'= 46,200

Cubic footage; 280'x165'= 46,200x48=2,217,600

Reply to
kool

guess global warming is a reality !!!!, bone up on j manual calculations and kinetic heat load

good luck

"kool" wrote:

e(arena with bowl type seating) for summer use as now the conditions are tunbearable during events. wI am thinking that 4 BIG units might be the way to go,one in each corner, iprobably splits.rtI can't seem to find a design condition chart from ashrae or anyone else on lgoogle. It is a fairly moderate year round climate here, from memory I think hwe're talking around 80f summer but it hit the mid 90's two days ago.Just the people load would be 125 tons and 45,000 cfm o/air required..As this will be a major financial investment, I need to do it right the first time and any input on design considerations would be appreciated. Thanks. @Victoria B.C.gn Indoor Conditions;24 C/75 F @

50% RHx5Design Conditions; ?qu Occupancy load; 3000x500=1,500,000 btuoo Square footage;280'x165'= 46,20060 Cubic footage; 280'x165'= 46,200x48=2,217,600
Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Then hire a professional.

Reply to
<kjpro

Do manual J calcs. cover loads of this size?I haven&#39;t used them as I haven&#39;t done much design only service, repairs, installs and a bit of manufacture (shop built special orders)

Reply to
kool

Of course that will happen when we get to that point.We will get at least 3 quotes but I won&#39;t waste there estimators and design engineers time doing all of the preliminary ground work. I want to compare apples to apples with the quotes, not get three coflicting ways of completing the job.

Reply to
kool

The best advice for you "kool" [I hope you are the original O.P.] is it sound like you are [in over your head.] As a contractor, you really should consider only taking jobs your are good at. Taking on jobs that you [have difficulty with] is not profitable.

Large projects [like a sports arena] should be performed by those who are &#39;comfortable&#39; with doing large jobs of that scope. [Unless you have a &#39;network&#39; of contractors you can work with - who will allow you to sub-the work.] Which BTW is not unheard of.

Reply to
Zephyr

Thanks for the advice Zephyr, but I am not a contractor. I will be hiring a contractor do acually do the job but right now I am just exploring the different possibilities and ways of cooling the building.There are several options and possibly using our existing ice plant system to cool a glycol loop through a brine to glycol plate and frame heat exchanger is one of them. This system just sits idle during the summer while the building is used for lacrosse, concerts and trade shows etc. We will be putting the ice back in early this year, mid august, as the Vancouver Canucks are using it for a training and rookie camp. This will allow us until spring to try and get a system in place for next summer.

Reply to
kool