Both air conditioners stopped working

I had 2 air conditioners (Rheem 3t) installed last October by a reputable company.

Last Friday the first one bit the dust and Saturday the other one failed completely. How is this possible with independent units??

While the a/c were running, they stopped dead: The fans (separate circuits) keep running but the condensers just sit there, dead.

I checked the fuses at the compressors, I tripped and reset the circuit breakers, I waited an hour and tried again, to no avail. There is full power (235v) right into the condenser units.

Could this be a freon problem?

What can cause 2 units to stop working at nearly the same time? We are right in a heat wave with temps around 105. Is there anything I can do before the service people come out on Tuesday?

Reply to
Walter R.

Stick an ice cube up your ass.

Stormin Mormun told me that it works great and afterwards you can drop it in your lemonade.

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

Thank you for your courteous and generous help. No doubt, based on your own experience.

Reply to
Walter R.

Dear Walter

The compressor units may have tripped on its high pressure cut out switches which resets automatically after the pressure comes down thats why they start after some time. This also explains the reason both compressors are tripping

In short: Your A/c's have more Freon than required, check Freon Gas pressure. If you are not trained do not try to check on your own Pls write back if u still face problems

Regards Donald

Reply to
don

Thank you, Donald

They did not reset automatically over night, even after I tripped and reset the breakers again this morning.

This is as far as I want to go. Since the units are under warranty, I will let a qualified technician resolve this mystery. Maybe it has too little Freon. There is probably a low pressure switch that prevents the unit from self destructing. In that case it should/would not automatically reset itself.

Thanks again for your kind help

Reply to
Walter R.

They probabably installed some bad freon in them. Have the company come out and change the freon and replace the freon filters. Should be OK after that.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Thanks, Oscar

Reply to
Walter R.

Get a clue. Not that they don't make them, but I've never seen an auto-reset HO switch.

Besides, if you took teh time to really READ what he said, he stated that the units never came back on....

Tell the truth now, are you really Storming Moron? C'mon Chris, confess.....

Oh yeah.

Reply to
HeatMan

I dont know why you thank a dumb f*ck like Oscar who does nothing but give false information to unsuspecting who dont know any better.

Reply to
ftwhd

One very valid option. Also possible is poor air flow through the condensor. Which could trip the high limit switch.

Less likely option, they may both have bad contactors, or problems with the low power circuit.

In any case, it's a job for a HVAC technician at this point.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In short, you have no f****ng clue whats going on...LOL!!!!!

Reply to
aka-SBM

Dont forget, Walter. Its almost ALWAYS the thermostat/s. Do you have the same thermostat on both units? Those stats are made so quickly and so cheaply anymore that 95% of the time its the thermostats. Put some new replacement stats on and you may be suprised. If your old systems burnt out or shorted the compressors you may need to change the oil in your new compressors. Run your refrigerant through a recycling machine and install new liquid line driers. Your system will work like new again. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sounds like the units tripped on head pressure. Reset the safety and call a tech to check gas charge and general operation.

If the units are struggling with the outdoor heat, spray the outdoor condenser coils with a mist of water, helps lower head pressure. May not fix problem but may keep you on line until help arrives.

Reply to
PJ ;-)

OMG

Reply to