Latest threads in HVAC Discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Baseboard Hot/chilled water vs. forced air: efficiency
All -- Which is more efficient? Clearly (I think), baseboard water systems are the much more expensive initial install. How much more expensive? More or less efficient than air? Diff for the...
2
2

Pellet stoves?
Anybody know if there is a forum for discussing pellet stoves? I just bought a Harman Accentra and wanted to compare notes. It's been a few years since I've posted here. Last was asking about...

Converting an air conditioner to a heat pump
How feasible would it be to convert a split air conditioner to a heat only heat pump? I still have too many projects to complete before I could attempt to do something like this, but I find it...
20
20

Something for the Groups Problem Solvers:
Photo: Echoforsberg/Flickr This can't be healthy. Researchers have discovered radioactive rabbit poop spread around a shuttered nuclear facility in the state of Washington. In September they flew...
3
3

Is it worth it to go to a 95% furnace?
------------------------------------- I currently have TWO 80% 20 year old Tempstar 150K BTU furnaces, one for each floor in my 4600 sq ft home (2300 in each floor) (built in 1989). Due to some...
9
9

Jumping out a Chonotherm III
All -- If I wanted to bypass or jump out a chronotherm III, where the furnace is connected to W1 and C screws, how would I do this? Jumping W1 and C does not seem to do it. Does this mean the III is...
21
21

Jesus and the Burglar
Jesus and the Burglar A burglar broke into a house and shined his flashlight around looking for valuables. He picked up a CD player when a strange, disembodied voice echoed from the dark saying:...

how far to cost-effectively pump air?
Now let us suppose that we have a free source of rotating-shaft power in location A. And let it be further posited that we need fresh-air ventilation at location B. At which distance does it stop...
4
4

Flame sensor - please help
I have a Carrier 58MCA that is not working. I replaced the flame sensor last December and it was fine all winter. Now it's cold again and I have no heat. The board again flashes 34 after it lights...
8
8

make up air
------------------------------------- john johnson Church boiler coil is hot but when air handler is on, cool air pushes out into room. Should outside air be open or closed? or what else could it be....
10
10

Furnace or Thermostat issue?
Hi Everyone, I recently replaced my thermostat and upgraded from a mercury based thermostat to an electric programmable model and am having some issues with my furnace. Let me know what you think:...
12
12

Re: How cold is "beer-can" cold?
It depends on how many you already drunk that day. In my case, being active Mormon, I don't drink alcohol. So, beer can cold is about 40F.
5
5

Good Information"\:
http://www.weathersealed.com/2009/09/22/where-the-buffalo-roamed/

Anyone hear from Turtle?
I used to have his contact information. When he fell off the ladder, and spent some time in the hospital, he did write once or twice. I remember him writing that the brain is very complicated, and the...
1
1

slow list
Everyone busy working?