Latest threads in HVAC Discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

efficiency of portable split systems?
The "portable" air conditioners which have a hot air duct going out a window are generally denigrated as inefficient. I realise that you have everything inside, generating waste heat. Probably okay...
3
3

Dumb answers by jerks
I am amazed by the number of Idoits on this site that are intent on harrassing people with a bunch of nonsense responses to questions. I would hope the adminstraters of this site start blocking people...
11
11

any opinions on this heat pump situation?
the run winding on my heat pump compressor failed and is completely open (zero resistance). it is one year and seven months out of the 10 year compressor warranty. contacted the local business who...
4
4

Assume old central air was r22 not r410a, right?
If units from 1970 & 1999? I'm going by Grainger tomw so I wanted to be sure - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice....
1
1

WAIT humidifer motor clutch mystery
Hello List, I really need some advice here: I have a Wait drum humidifier which stopped working; the drum stopped turni ng. Instead of calling someone , I decided to try to fix it myself: I bought a...
6
6

Exhaust/drafting plan for a new wood furnace install
hello, i just purchased a wood burning furnace that is designed to tie into and su pplement the main furnace which in my case is a geothermal unit. after spending a few days reading about "best...

FREON in NYC
I had been told FREON was illegal in NYC. Now I was told it is just "being phased out"?????? Is there generally one kind used for central A/C (eg Carrier 1970)? Or do I have to wait for the snow to...
3
3

Need a heater with fan running continuously
Hi I am looking for a heater which has fan and it runs continuously whether heater is on or off. Basically heaters with 2 fan settings 1. Continuous fan 2. Auto . Please help me find such heaters....
1
1

air conditioner fire
About 1:16 into the video, we see the unit under a deck, with gate, and tiny access. Does anyone else but me see why this setup could be a concern? No, I'm not the installer. I'd never do this.
17
17

adjusting the limit and control setting
I have a wood stove add on to my fuel oil furnace. I think I might need to adjust the limit and control settings because the house is not keeping warm even though a very good fire is built and being...
3
3

steel dustpan to help prevent distribution of soot and dirt
I was reading my furnace manual and I came across this. It says for my upflow furnace, a Carrier 30 y.o. oil burner (no boiler), model 58HV085: "Upflow models are equipped with steel dustpan to hep...

Looking for oil tank float guage but can't seem to find anything like it..
Gauge has a horizontal movement, with the typical Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, black numbers on white background, everything topped with a red plastic top. It has a float and the gauge comes in and out with 4...
1
1

Whole house humidifier: old switch too many amps for HUM terninal
How can I get my old 120V whole house humidifier setup to turn on only when heat is on? I have an old General 1040 bypass humidifier with a 120V solenoid, wired to an ancient Sears 120V humidistat...
3
3

Yep it is a bit warm
Yes we know it is cold in the Northern hemisphere, but it is rather warm around the centre of Australia //Central Australia is sweltering as temperatures hover near record breaking marks. The...
1
1

I kind of thought that the truck sounded a bit too large...
from the NY Times "corrections" page A report in the Slap Shot hockey notebook last Sunday about the N.H.L.'s custom-made Ice Truck designed to pump coolant through piping under the ice for outdoor...
1
1