waaayyyy OT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Funny.

I have sad news. Something got one of my comets. Twelve inches long, nice and juicy. However, it had one puncture hole near the dorsal fin and it was laying in a garden bed. We do have a blue heron who nests nearby. Is it possible he/she got the fish, hopped over closer to the fence to eat it and was scared off by the neighbors dog barking? It would have been better, at least, if The Bull (the fishes name) was made a good meal of. We were sad anyway. How can we prevent this happening again?

Victoria

Reply to
escapee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

LMAO!

Thank you ! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I think I will do the same. I would hate the heron to get all tangled in it, though. I'll figure something out.

Thanks, Ingrid.

Victoria

Reply to
escapee

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

We've had those fish for years out there. Breaks my heart. After these fish are no more, that's it for fish. We have many hundreds of gallons of aquariums in the house. We love our aquariums where the fish are, for the most part, safe.

Of course in one 55+ tank last month we lost 7 Powder Blue Gourami. Actually, I think 3 of them were dwarf blue. Fungus killed them and bloat and we had to put them all down. It was awful for my poor husband. That's pretty rare, though. We learned our lesson with such delicate fish. No more.

escapee

I will rig something up tomorrow. It's not a huge pond like you have, so it should be easy.

escapee

My neighbor built a pond, then made that into the filter for 2 other adjoining ponds and a couple "volcanoes" or "grottos" he had a local concrete caster make for him.. they were modified manhole inserts, anyway.. one day I was sitting inside and glanced out the window and saw something odd .. looked a bit closer, I was seeing legs! They were attached to a Blue Heron standing on top of the power pole at the corner of where his and my property line was, and the heron was gazing over at the pond. I called the neighbor and told him there was a heron eyeing his fish! By then, the heron had glided on down and was having a snack on his fish!

He purchased a large bit of plastic bird netting like one usually puts over a fruit tree, or berry patch that you didn't want birds to get into. He stretched that across the pond and he had no further trouble with the blue heron. It never got entangled in it, but it went away.

Another time I was sitting here, and looked out the window, and saw a familiar shape that I'd seen in the audubon bird book.. it was a kingfisher. I'd never seen one, ever, but there was one on the power lines across from his house, so I called him and said.. uh...look out your front window across the street on the power lines.. you see that bird? He said yah, I said he's gonna be snackin' on your fishies any minute now.. and yup, it started dive bombing his ponds, so the netting went up, he dive bombed into it .. bounced back up, and I think it tried it one more time, and gave up. Didn't hurt him a bit, but he didn't eat any more fish.

It's amazing how those birds manage to find these small pools in people's yards in areas that they don't normally frequent. The pond is nowhere near the river, or any other bodies of water, so you'd not think they'd be around to spot them at all...not exactly in their frequent flying area to spot it. But they do.

I've not seen any more herons, but there was another kingfisher across the street last year and I told the new owners of the bird, and that I could see it up there with a bright orange fish in its beak! So keep an eyeball peeled for those too!

Janice

Reply to
Janice