Trees and problems 2

Other than the spammers that interfered with the message last time here is some useful information for caring people to help the better care for their trees. This is short and brief information for people to help them correctly care for their trees. My critics on her like Don Staples and jangclub really do not understand trees and claim to be experts. Watch them. While some of their information may be useful their lack of understanding of tree biology makes them a poor choice for accurate information regarding the ecological stages of trees and their associates. I have been studying tree biology since 1991 and dissecting trees to better understand them and treatments. Thus this makes my critics jealous or something stimulating them to spam every post I make. Anyone interested in learning and understanding treatments to trees and their associates should first visited here:

he dissected more trees than anyone on this list ever will. He had the credentials people like Staples claim to have. personally I think he is a crook, he knows he's a crook, and he isn't going to change. I myself like to explain to people some of the features of trees I have learned by dissecting trees and studying under my professor who was a world renown tree biologist. Watch them respond to this.

Anyway trees are woody, shedding, perennial plants. Actually they are annual parts growing on a perennial plant. Leaves, non-woody roots and mycorrhizae are annual. Unless of course it's a mycorrhizae stacking.

Anyway I will continue to reach out to people to help them understand the trees they want to help. If you want to hurt trees email somebody else.

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting

Mulching -
Pruning
Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
Farming and Related Problems
in the Rhizosphere
John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
symplastless

I'm posting this on this thread because I keep getting an error message when I try to post a new threat. It says there is some missing information, which there isn't. I have no idea why I keep getting that when I try to post, so I'm posting this on the tree threat. I hope someone can tell me why I keep getting that error message. I've signed on fine, filled out the form correctly and still get that error message. AARGH! Anyway, here's my tree/bush problems:

I've had a datura since last year and it has never bloomed. It was overwintered indoors under grow light and it's been outdoors for about six weeks. It's in a large pot, for it's size and in full sun. I can't figure out why this thing hasn't bloomed. about a week and a half ago I pruned it a bit, thinking that maybe that would stimulate it. I'd love some input on why this thing has never bloomed in a year and some helpful hints on what I can do to get it to bloom.

Thanks! June

Reply to
June

Calling Don a crook in writing in a public forum, without any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

Getting pretty close to libel I'd say.

But I suppose you'd get off by claiming insanity. And you'd be right.

ml

Reply to
kzin

Datura are in the nightshade family so it depends in part to night temperatures to set up a bud to flower. They are also pretty heavy feeders. Have you fertilized? With what and how often?

Reply to
Jangchub

June

One thing you might try because you cannot mulch correctly in a pot. You could fertilize with micro elements. I would stay away from too much nitrogen because you do not want the tree to grow big and fast. The microelement solution I use has very little nitrogen and has all of the microelements that are essential. It has some biostimulants as well. This would give the tree some of the elements it might be receiving in its natural habitat.

If you are into pruning Shigo has two books. World wide photo guide and Pruning Basics. One would probably be good for you and your tree. Try not to over water. Just water enough to wet the nonwoody roots in the upper four inches. I have to go.

Reply to
symplastless

My thoughts on the topic of his salvaging is here: he calls it salvaging. I call it logging. No he has pushed me to come out and tell you him and everybody else what I think of him. Claiming salvaging will increase the health of the system is being a crook!

Reply to
symplastless

The address of what I think.

symplastless

Ya know, all the problems I've presented, with few exceptions, are NOT answered by your weblinks. So, I must rely on other replies for semblance of an appropriate answer. I admit, in one occurrence, you simply said you didn't know. But such reply wasn't needed, as was assumed by myself if no reply.

You should also look into the term "spam" regarding usenet and internet use. Saw little, if any replies, that involved commercial advertising. Maybe you mean something else?

I'll take a typical "semi-educated" country doctor that understands local and typical problems, rather than one who has alot of schooling about generalities. AND, is willing to pursue a conversation without recourse to weblinks. Rather, such are directing questions appropriate and directly answering with their solutions. This, UNLIKE you, is more comforting and easier to understand what is appropriate in each individual circumstance. This is your weakness and pitfall. And, as you continue your typical responses, you compound the same opinion by others who frequent here.

Reply to
Dioclese

Don't forget the damn things are poisonous. My brother had a drop of dew fall off his "brug" into his eye and it distorted his vision and his heart beat. One drop.

Reply to
Billy

Thanks for very good hints. I was afraid to fertilize it, fearing I'd just get more leaf growth and still no bloom. I'll feed it today - probably Miracle grow which I use only on ornamentals. I also have osmocote; but I think I'll go for the fast fix! :-) It may be getting too much water as my husband has been watering my potted plants during my recovery from hip replacement; but I'm taking over that chore now so between me watering a bit less and the fertilizer, I'm hoping that I'll finally get blooms!

Warm regards, June

The miracle grow is not food for the tree. In fact it has urea which can be a problem in the rhizosphere of the tree. I would go with microelements. If you require a source I will provide one. Contact me at snipped-for-privacy@treedictionary.com

Reply to
symplastless

Datura is not a tree. How do I know this? I have a degree in Datura. I've been growing and selling this and Brugmansia spp. for a few decades. You could call a Brugmansia a tree, but not actually.

Stop giving advice for trees to questions about herbaceous perennials. gotta go

Reply to
Jangchub

Please define a "tree".

Reply to
symplastless

Why, don't you know what it is? I can define that Datura is NOT a tree. Please, why don't you define a tree. I'm waiting patiently.

Reply to
Jangchub

Now that will be a challenge, and the answer will be long, winding, and absolutely off base.

Reply to
Don Staples

I hope someone tells me how to mulch properly, prune properly, rhizosphere properly prudently propicoiusly and pomposity with a weighty preaamble. :)

Reply to
Jangchub

Don't forget to nurse the logs.

I'm wondering why brugs aren't trees, mine grows like a tree, breaks the pavement, lifts the roof on the carport. Is it the internal structure, or what determines the difference? Not trying to be contentious, usually.

Reply to
Charles

just beautiful. what sized lot is that?

Reply to
kzin

A bit over half acre. That includes the front too, but we're not set very far back so most of the property is in the back. Thank you for the compliment.

Jangchub

I'm envying those gorgeous flowers on your brugmansia. I must have that instead of a datura, because mine is pretty tall, even in a pot. When I mentioned "datura" to someone at the nursery when I lived in Florida, I was told that datura and brugmansia were the same but now they use brugmansia instead of datura. Obviously there is a difference!

I was off at the nursery in Asheville today buying more plants and doing other chores, so tomorrow I'm going to feed it and watch the watering (not too much) and hope that I can get this to bloom. When I lived in Florida I had three of them - a white, a yellow and a lavender and had not problem with them blooming in the ground.

The rest of you garden is wonderful, as well!

Regards, June

Reply to
June

Thank you for the compliment. Now, Datura was used to refer to both plants and although they are taxonomically in the same family, their flower parts are a bit different. The obvious is that, Datura face upward, Brugmansia hang downward. I never saw a lavender Brugmansia, so you may have had D. metel 'Cornucopia' which is a double Datura flower. The Datura I have is D.wrightii. I also have some D. inoxia here and there, but the former has a much larger flower and the plant is hardier in drought.

I have about 20 Brugs in containers and they need to be watered daily and fertilized once a week because of the flushing which occurs as a result of all the water they require in 100 degree heat. None of mine are blooming right now accept the Brugmansia spp. which is a double white flower. They are very heavy feeders. Mine are all mulched in the containers. The same way tomatoes can take their stalks covered and develop roots where covered, so do this species of nightshades. They require cooler night temps to set buds. Healthy foliage is vital or they are prone to leaf beetle which chews holes into the leaf. Very unsightly. One more thing, when you water yours, each time you do, force water upward under the foliage because they are also extremely prone to spider mites. I wash the foliage every day with a hard stream of water which knocks insects or mites off.

Reply to
Jangchub