Thérèse Bugnet-Chlorisis and the Big Good-Bye

Started yellowing and falling off in bloom production last year-ordinary fertilizers did not help.

Finally found Plant Prod Iron Chelate-has helped somewhat with the veining and yellowing, but not completely.

I'm inclined to forego any more treatments and replace this with something else, probably another in the Morden series. Or should I try severely cutting back in late August and watch to see what happens in the spring again? What would you do?

Reply to
Joe

Why don't you try amending your soil to correct the pH problem that is creating the chlorosis. Rugosas are notoriously sensitive to alkaline soils and prefer quite acid conditions. Any rose that you plant in it's place will probably have similar issues, just not as prominently.

Reply to
Sunflower

This variety is well known for showing symptoms of iron deficiency.

I find that the only iron effecitve iron to be 'Sequesterine'. It is expensive, however it works very well and the best bang for the buck in iron supplements.

I am probably going to shovel prune mine and replace it with a modern shrub, varitey to be determined.

The Morden roses are very good, I have 6 or so and recommend all of them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Tompkins

That's odd - every time one of my modern roses gets winter killed, I replace it with another rugosa :-).

BTW, I have Marie Bugnet, the unknown (almost) Bugnet. More blooms than any other rose I've got. By the time the season is over, I'm really tired of deadheading :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Well, of the 9 or so varieties in that bed (all Parkland, Explorer or Mordens) only the one is really affected. The rest showed barely any hint of yellowing after 4 years. Another poster said these were notorious for that very problem.

Reply to
Joe

those WMD's were airplanes flown into places with lots of people in them and a guy named Sadam paying their families the incentive money. Enough reason for me.

Reply to
Roger Boughner

Thanks for hijacking my thread with a totally irrelevant aside.

Reply to
Joe

I guess it's really my fault - it was my sig line.

I wish people would realize that sig lines are like bumper stickers. You read them and either smile or frown - you don't chase down the driver so you can argue with him or her :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard