Sycamore Question

I have a neighbor that dug a trench from his driveway that spills into my yard for water run off. This creates a puddle about 6 feet in diameter in my yard. I would like to plant a sycamore there. I have one growing on a ditch bank, however, it is much to large to transplant. I would like to know how to take a cutting from the existing tree and put it in that spot. I understand they are good drinkers. I am located in Southeastern Virginia, zone 7.

-- Laura in Virginia

Reply to
Laura Gilbert

Firstoff, your neighbor cannot change the drainage and impact your lot like that. Talk to him first and let him know that you don't appreciate him making drainage issues for you and would he please find another solution that doesn't impact you. If he isn't agreeable, then it's time to involve codes enforcement and engineers.

Secondly, if you have a sycamore tree anywhere, you probably have thousands of seedlings coming up that are just fine to transplant--if you dare. Sycamore trees are great trees away from dwellings off in a field somewhere where their size can be appreciated and the trash they generate won't be a problem. They have weak wood that is constantly being knocked off by storms, huge leaves that blow about and get everywhere, make seedballs that shatter and scatter their seeds everywhere, and as a consequence, make seedlings *everywhere*. The only tree thats worse is a silver maple. You might as well plant a willow as plant a sycamore, but at least a willow has small leaves that don't blow around.

Sunflower MS 7b--still yanking out a hundred sycamore seedlings daily.

Reply to
Sunflower

I wouldn't mind some runoff, except maybe in the spring, when the road salt mixes with it (I would prefer his roof runoff :) ).

A great salt-tolerant bush would be a northern bayberry, although I think you're in its southern-most section....perhaps a wax myrtle? I don't know if they have the same salt tolerance.

Better than norway maples.

Dan

Reply to
dstvns

They can withstand occasional salt spray.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove symbols from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager