Source for Viburnum rufidulum

I'd like to add one or more specimens of Viburnum rufidulum (southern blackhaw) to our landscape. Can't find it locally. Can anyone recommend a source?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Prager

What's locally?

Reply to
Mike LaMana

If you find a source for it anywhere, please do let me know. I have been looking for a mother plant for years. I would like to propagate it because I can sell hundreds of gallon plants every year if I can perfect propagation. It's not an easy one to do, but I'm willing to tinker around to get it going.

thanks, Victoria

Reply to
escapee

Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum is one heck of a tall shrub/small tree and is difficult to find. If you do find some, buy several!

shows it natural historical range.

jk

Mike Prager wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

shows it natural historical range.

jk

Mike Prager wrote:

Reply to
madgardener

Actually these are fairly commonly available in my experience, especially from the mid-Atlantic region growers.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Oops, sorry! Locally is Carteret County, NC, on the coast about 4 hours SE of Raleigh; about 2 hours NE of Wilmington.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Thanks. Can you recommend a grower that sells at retail by mail order?

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Thx for the reply. However, "nannyberry" to me is V. lentago, a more northern species. An attractive one to be sure (from the pictures I've seen), but not well suited to our area because of excessive heat and humidity here and the plant's susceptibility to mildew.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

The only source I've founds so far is this one:

apparently ships bare-root plants during the winter. Whether you could get one large enough to suit your needs, I don't know.

Good luck!

Mike

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Thanks Mike. I will see if I can buy some bare root next winter and get my own stock plants going. I would love to get this out into the trade. It is especially lovely for us in this part of Texas because it is native and adapted to a large array of our soils in this region of TX.

Victoria

Reply to
escapee

V - If you email me (so I have your address), I'll let you know if I find other sources for this.

Judging from pictures & what's written about this species, it's a great plant. With our dogwoods along the coast having succumbed to anthracnose, drought, and borers, a good small flowering tree is needed. I'm also going to try Vitex agnus-castus, which I've seen growing and flowering around here in part shade (though the books say SUN: I get more skeptical all the time).

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

IntarsiaCo

Here is what I was able to find, but I haven't done business with them myself, and don't know how reputable they are:

(Plant Lists -> Complete List)
(P.57 of PDF document)

Page 56 of this document

lists the arboretums/gardens in your area where you can get more info about native plants, so maybe they will also know a local source.

Suja

Reply to
Suja

I have a huge Vitex agnus-castus 'Carolina Blue.' It is about 12 feet tall now and oh, 20 feet wide. It is about 5 years old and started with a four inch pot of it Now I have them germinating all over the place. I dig them out in the fall and like today at the garden club, have them to swap. It's a beautiful plant.

I will shoot you an email.

victoria

Reply to
escapee

Indeed, that's the one I'm looking for! I prefer a more blue tinge to the grayish purple more commonly found. However, the locals seem to have just the species.

Mike

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Thanks!

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Thanks! Very helpful!

May I ask how you found them? I tried Google and a few other techniques myself, with no luck.

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

I have the one with the cream colored blossoms. I am waiting to see how badly it winter killed. Here in zone 6 we had a zone 5 winter.

42°N
Reply to
Beecrofter

Just Google. I think I use Viburnum rifidulum and nursery to come up with the first list and added the token 'NC' to come up with the PDF document.

Suja

Reply to
Suja