Poison Ivy 3 Leaves? 5 Leaves?

I ran into alot of poison ivy. The three leaves I am certain is poison ivy (three leaves per stem, powder covered stalk. 100% certain is poison ivy.

There are other where it 3 three leaves per stem on some of the smaller branches, then goes to 3 leaves at end w/ two leaves below on per stem larger branches. Powder on stalk until it gets to a trunk (with vertical grain) about 3" diamater. 4' tall. Not certain what its.

Questions? Can poison ivy have 5 leaves on more established branches?

This is on neigbors property (who doesn't speak much english) what is the easist way to kill it. Been using Dave's Weed-Ex mixed with dish soap, leaves appear to be withering. But need to make sure it doesn't come back. Recomendations?

Also, how does it spread? I noticed some in my yard far away from source

kubie (btw - Walgreens spray benedral kicks a-s)

Reply to
c_kubie

I don't know about the groups of five, but I can tell you that Ortho "Brush B Gone" Poison Ivy killer has cleaned up most of the poison ivy in my wooded property including whole vines and trees of it.

Good Luck Jim

c snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Sounds more like trumpet vine.

Why are you spraying herbicides on your neighbor's property??? Unless the neighbor asked you to spray it (unlikely), Shame on you! Neighbor should file trespassing and criminal mischief charges against you.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Poison ivy (three leaves, shiny) often grows alongside Virginia creeper (mostly five leaves, three leaves when just starting out, not as shiny, and not an irritant). For a good comparison, look at this page on Virginia creeper, then follow its link to poison ivy:

ivy hops all over the place because it has whole clumps of berries (=seeds) that fall off the vines that are high up in trees, or are eaten and processed by birds. And, it spreads from the roots.

Reply to
Rachel

The best way to get rid of "Poison Ivy" is to get somebody who is immune to it to yank it all out.

No, that's probably "Virginia Creeper".

The fruit is a white berry that birds eat and they spread the seed when they poop.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Are the leaves opposite or alternate? Is the terminal leaflet stalked or sessile. Where are you?

Not any I've seen, and I've seen a lot of it. Wild guess is that you may be seeing box elder seedlings, or perhaps Virginia creeper.

After my students all solemnly assured me that they knew poison ivy well, and wouldn't walk in it, I'd take them out in the field. (I don't pay a whole lot of attention to PI; I don't react and because I do tend to avoid it anyhow) I'd walk them into a bunch of box elder seedlings, then ask them what they were standing in. Cruel, but it upped their watchfulness.

More help here:

Also, how does it spread? I noticed some in my yard far away from > source

Vegetatively and by dropped fruits or seeds.

Be sure you know what you're killing before you kill it... there are a lot of look-alikes, quite harmless.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster