PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sweetflag

Superficially, Sweet Flag resembles cat tails but it is a member of the Arum family. It derives it name from the sweet fragrance and flavor of the roots which were used to make candy.

js

-- PHOTO OF THE WEEK:

Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems, Nature, Sausage,Silver

jack

Testing ya camera is something you like to do don;t ya bitch? Come on down my way and test my waters for some pond scum and see how good you are at cleaning it out!

Oh, an Im the asshole who impersonates Koi-Lo......

Reply to
Roy

More like Iris leaves than like Typha.

This interesting story probably could use some elaboration. A longer, but still short, version:

Although long classified in the arum family Araceae, "Sweet Flag" [_Acorus calamus_ and a few other species of Acorus] have been shown by molecular phylogenetic studies to be extremely distant from the true aroids.

_Acorus_ is now placed in its own family Acoraceae, which is alone in its own order Acorales.

[In contrast, it turns out that the duckweeds, traditionally a separate family Lemnaceae, do belong within the arum family]

Acorus/Acoraceae/Acorales is evidently a very isolated, ancient lineage, and according to several studies represents the living sister group to all other monocotyledons.

mel turner