OT: Obesity

Things being a little slow around here, thought I'd post link to long, very interesting article from Science News:

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

Sorry Higgs but the only thing I found interesting in that cite as the failure to make even a single mention of the traditional role of physical activity. Hunting a hairy mammoth to indulge in a high protein feast would have needed lots and lots of physical activity as would the walking, digging firewood collecting involved in the gathering role of the women.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

Hi Higgs,

Loved the article. It was a fun read. The only tiny problem I had with it was that he mistook "epigenetics" for rapid one generation evolution. Other than that it was a fun and informative read. Thank you for sharing.

You still owe me a funny Paleo/Primal cartoon.

Are you ever going to tell us how your tomatoes are doing?

-T

Reply to
Todd

Hi Fran,

Not a good argument to justify continuing consuming things that Primal man did not: potatoes, wheat, rice, and any other things that have been hybridized for unnaturally high quantities of carbohydrates.

Not everyone in the tribe chased things. And you "stalked" a "hairy mammoth". You didn't chase it. He would stomp you at his first opportunity. Have you ever hunted?

If you really think the "physical activity" argument is a good one, can always go out and measure current hunter gathers to find out if the argument hold up.

Here is a very well done study on the Hudza hunter gathers. Guess what. No differences were found. The "physical activity" argument did not hold up.

"Contrary to expectations, measures of TEE among Hadza adults were similar to those in Western (U.S. and Europe) populations.

"Measurements of TEE among Hadza hunter-gatherers challenge the view that Western lifestyles result in abnormally low energy expenditure, and that decreased energy expenditure is a primary cause of obesity in developed countries

The article is a fascinating read!

To quote the author of the article Higgs posted, the physical activity thing is just another "great example of crowd mentality in science".

It is the carbs causing the problem. Gave me T2 Diabetes.

With your knowledge of potato farming, is there any breed of potatoes that you know of that is higher in fat and lower in carbs? Or are they all Diabetes in a bundle?

-T

Reply to
Todd

You may find this interesting:

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you! Very fascinating.

I had heard before on documentaries that (they educated guess) humans would have waited at the kill sites for everyone else to leave and then extracted the marrow from the leftover bones.

On these same documentaries, they (guessed) that certain tools they found were for splitting the bones.

And, if you eat too much muscle meat, you can get into trouble with excess methionine. To fix that you would need to consume more proline and glycine, which comes from gelatin, which comes from marrow.

Reference to the above statement:

We modern men primarily eat muscle meat. It is really important that we make our own broth (not the store bought stuff, which is mainly weird meat flavored chemicals).

Reference to my chemical remark:

Here is a great reference on why broth is essential for humans:

Or, we could smack some bones with rocks!

If anyone wants it, I have a great chicken broth recipe. Add some vegetable juice and a bit of heavy whipping cream, plus a shake or two of Chimayo (new mexico red) chili powder, and you have real comfort food!

Thank you again for sharing the link with me!

-T

You know I just realized, I do tend to carry on. Okay. Okay. I always knew it. Got so much worse when I dumped the Metformin and the dark curtain lifted (depression) -- couldn't shut up. Been off that poison for a year now and the blabbing is settling down a bit, but I am afraid I may have always been that way.

Reply to
Todd

Link did not work for many.

Somebody explained it a way back. Two cavemen sitting around; one says (roughly) "I'm getting tired of the paleo diet."

You're referring to the three withered corpses that I pulled up weeks ago?

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

I was looking for one that was unique to Paleos/Primals. That joke was too generic. Could have been two girl scouts sitting around complaining about some-mores. Anyway I am teasing anyway. But, if you do find a good one, I'd love it if you shared it.

What ?!?!? Were they attacked by mites or something (you can't see the mites, except under magnification). Did you under water with the drought and all? Did you fertilize with organic fertilizers? (Too much conventional fertilizer will burn things.)

Reply to
Todd

He has a show on the Sportsman HD channel where he hunts and cooks the meat. This week he showed how he prepared hearts from 5 different animals from cooking to pickling. Most hunters just leave the hearts in a gut pile or put them into hamburger. One show that may be in his video file, he cooked a coyote. Very interesting.

I try to keep my red meat intake low for cholesterol reasons. Wild game is healthier for lower fat content, although maybe not bone marrow.

Reply to
Frank

Hi Frank,

Only about 5% of hunting is the shooting part. I think we are harming ourselves by not eating everything or at least more of the animal.

Cholesterol isn't harmful to humans. Would you like some references?

No fooling! And fat is good for you. Would you also like some references?

Some stockyard meat is little better than carrion

-T

Reply to
Todd