Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europe’s Farmers

Some chiropractors are good and some are quacks. Just like with regular doctors, some are good and some are quacks there too. Not all chiropractors are licensed MD, if you find one with REAL credentials, then they are usually pretty good. Sounds like Charlie found a "good" one. hehe

Reply to
raeannsimpson

Charlie, your flogging a dead horse here. If Sherwin read even every forth word that you have written he would know where you are coming from. None are so blind, as those who WILL not see. For those gentle readers of yours who want verification of the impact of food on the American public, all they need do is look at the infamous N.Y. Times' (Times, of Judith Miller fame), columnist Paul Krugman's (not nearly as famous as he should be) last column, "America Comes Up Short" and the relationship between the crummy food in this country as compared to what Europeans eat. Today's Harper's Index also had a couple of factoids on America's burgeoning belt line.

I don't remember who suggested the book, "Farming with Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels and Elaine Engham. Excellent, excellent book. Along with Michael Pollan's book, "Ominivore's Dilemma" it gives the lie to chemical farming. Chemical farming kills off micro-organisms in the soil that feed, protect, and nurture our plants. Even the Journal of Nutrition is forced to say that organically grown food is higher in nutrients. Counter information would be interesting to assess but the simple-minded game saying of "no it isn't" (a la Sheldon) is pointless.

If anyone has a book that flaunts the merits of chemical farming over sustainable organic (even industrial organic), I would be interested in reading it. Farming, I should say, for the consumer, not for the board of directors.

Of course food quality, air quality and water quality are sub-sets of the over arching "health of the environment". Ecological systems that kept the environment in balance are being destroyed by the extinction of large predators, birds, amphibians, and insects. The oceans are over fished and used as a giant septic tank. Forests that clean both air and water are being clear cut. Vernal wetlands and deltas that clean the water are being filled in. Factory faming fouls the air and aquifers. Loss of large predators means uncontrollable populations of their prey that strip the environment and put it even further out of balance. As we are painfully aware, the environment under human stewardship is in ruins and mass extinction stands at the door.

What can I tell you Charlie? It's like they say in the Bhagavad Gita, you can't control anything. You have your responsibilities, and as long as you try cover your responsibilities as best you can, that's really all you can be held accountable for. It's not very satisfying, but it is all we got.

Don't worry, there will be another idiot along in a minute or so to tell you that organic farming is a crock. But, you might, just might, get someone who asks, "Why is it better?" and then, you can pass on the word.

Thanks again to whoever turned me on to "Farming with Microbes".

Have a good Sunday,

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Not gonna disparage your bone cracker. If'n it is back pain, and it usually is, as we advance into full gezeerhood, I'd suggest that you lie flat on the floor, pull your knees up with feet flat on the floor, put your hands to the side of your head, and do a tiny little sit up, no more than to get your shoulder blades off the ground and point you left elbow at your right knee, lie back down and repeat with your right elbow pointed at your left knee. Don't do more than about twenty the first time. Do once a day for a week. Increase by 5 the second week. Increase by 5 more the third week. After that, your on your own. If it hurts at any time, STOP immediately.

Yeah, I know. It's not yoga. But learn some simple positions and practice them or at least do some stretches for your legs and back. Yoga, "the yoke between mind and body". The neat part is you don't have to believe in it. Either the mind drags the body along or the body drags the mind along. At some point you'll want to stop thinking during practice and just pay attention to the flow of air in and out of your lungs. You'll be amazed at the amount of muscle tension that you have, that you hadn't noticed before, and how it will eventually drop away. It is also known as "Reichian Armor" after the psychologist Wilhelm Reich.

Well the first crook neck I planted didn't survive the night even though I had fenced it to keep the cats and dogs away from it. Looked like the work of a snail or a slug, so I added more mulch and gave it a dose of Sluggo and it is still there this morning. I have one more for back up.

Found the information that I was looking for about 24/7 grow light exposure for my sweet peppers. It's supposed to be OK up to 7 weeks but after that you can do some real damage to the plant. I got 2 weeks left be for my sweet peppers have to come out of the incubator.

I got 2 moon flowers hung, 3 potted, and 3 more waiting for repotting. Being on a hill side, I'm going vertical but all the trellises are already bedecked, now I'm hanging them off trees.

Got one of my large germinator trays all cleared out. 72 cells just waiting to be filled in and slipped onto the pad under the grow light. I'm thinking lettuce and, sunflowers.

Always looking for food or herbs to grow in the shade though.

I let one of my failed attempts at Brussels sprouts go to seed. She sure is taking her sweet time about it. I keep hosing the aphids off of her and she shows no sign of the seed pods drying out. No chance that this mother will try and go another season is there?

Well, I'd better go do something.

See you at happy hour.

Billy Rose

Tis true in all professions. The first massage I had was from a real pro. She dropped my voice a full octave, I was so relaxed. Never found another masseuse or masseur who could match. If you would just call a chiropractor, a physical therapist, I'd have no problem but chiropracticy (sp?) carries a lot of philosophical baggage.

What you use for tea?

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Need some strange reading? Try Libby love letters. Laughter being the best medicine.

Bill

PS make those stomach muscles stronger and your chance of back pain can be reduced. Now back to my Orgone box.

Reply to
William Wagner

Yeah that's definitely part of it but you will also find that this exercise torques the back by twisting and, simultaneously puts traction on it allowing the vertebrae a chance to re-aligne. As you do the exercise, you find you are walking across the floor on your shoulder blades, dragging your body along with you (traction).

Thanks for the book suggestion but I'm already over my eye-balls in reading material.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Actually I was kidding about the Orgone Box. Still a google search is worthwhile. I went with cultivating life energy which I think of as Chi now with physical movement. Tai Chi which suggests I stand still for awhile. What can I say ;))

Bill Yang Form ~20 years and still had a heart attack.

Garden needs some attention again. Speak of eternal return!!

Reply to
William Wagner

This is the beauty of being a dilettante. I cherry pick the information. I had no idea about Reich's wacko idea of orgone energy. On the other hand unresolved emotional problems being stored as clenched muscles is pretty much universally accepted these days. Not that all clenched muscles are unresolved emotional problems.

I'm a big fan of Tai Chi but I haven't found a teacher that is good for me yet. I studied Tae Kwan Do and came away with certain ideas that a Tai Chi instructor would need to accommodate or teach me out of. A punch should look like a real punch. A kick should look like a real kick.

Sometimes Tai Chi is taught to geezers as a type of exercise, with little emphasis on its' martial arts application.

Unfortunately, both Tai Chi and Tae Kwon Do are now anachronisms having been replaced by kick boxing. It's a good sweat though.

Didn't have my cardiac event until eight years after I stopped running. Turns out the arthritis in my foot was much more minor than I had been lead to believe. My doctor told me I should do something about my cholesterol. I thought I was by seeing him. He apparently meant that I should see a real doctor.

Welcome to the club. As they say, "Your not a real man 'till you have your first heart attack;-)"

Kyungye,

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Water, sugar, decaff tea bags ....................................why? what did i miss?? oh yeah, have any good remedies for this migraine headache called "in-laws"??!!

Rae

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Billy Rose expounded:

Ok, now you're stepping on my territory .

Many people with sore backs have weak abs. It's true! We lose our core muscles from all the sitting around, driving, computing (who, us??!?) and poor posture we've developed over the years. If you really and truly want to fix your sore back, find a good Pilates instructor. Rebuild those core muscles.

The exercise you described above is almost Criss-Cross, the fifth in the Ab Series of Five, in the Pilates repertoire. The correct way to do it is to lie on your back, bring your knees into chair position (hip and knee at 90°). Cradle the base of your neck in your hands (don't hold your head). Bring your chin to your chest, raising your head, cradling your neck. Now, bring your right armpit to your left knee. Not your elbow, in order to do this correctly, you need to rotate your upper body so your knee is going towards your armpit. Stay high in the middle as you return to center, then bring your left armpit to your right knee. Stay high and do it again. Only do as many as you can do in good form. If your back hurts, stop.

Pilates is never done to pain or failure. If it hurts, you're either doing it wrong or you're too weak to maintain control.

Now I'm not suggesting you try to do Pilates from a newsgroup posting. Find a good teacher in your area

and see if Pilates doesn't help your back - and the rest of you, too!

I know I sound like an infomercial, but finding Pilates in 1999 has totally changed my life. I lived in severe pain, my lower lumbar region literally ached for 16 years until my (wonderful) chiropractor (I went through five before I found him) studied me for a couple of visits and told me to go find a Pilates mat class. He was right! And he's very supportive of me not seeing him much anymore

If it weren't for him sending me to that class I think I would have had to give up gardening - for me that would be giving up living, almost!

Reply to
Ann

My god Ann, your a zealot;-) Yeah, we can fix Charlie up with mats and beach-balls, a spandex workout costume, a schedule, and a membership card. I kinda think Charlie would look nice in a tutu. But not all guys are built like that and if'n Charlie had the time and the money, I'd recommend a gym, preferably on the Mediterranean, where a trainer could tailor a workout to Charlies needs and desires. That said, whenever I get lazy, and hurt my back, I do the above and it pops whatever was out, back in. Throw in some stretchies and a few push ups and you have a program. And I said put your hands to the side of your head because pulling on your neck or head is not a great idea. Now if we can only get Charlie to cooperate and have a bad back, maybe we can have some kind of kinesiology competition.

Oh Charlie. Where are you, boy? Charlie.

This may take awhile, if he's taken to hiding.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Oh you didn't miss anything, I was just wondering if you might make tisanes out of local herbs. You seem to be a thrifty lass, and I admire thrift.

Yeah, never changes, does it? House guests and fish. Didn't realize you had so much privacy, until it's gone. Same with little toes. Wouldn't know they were there, until you whack one. Then it's all you can think about.

Haven't seen Charlie have you? Ask him if his back hurts, OK? And if anybody starts asking about your core muscles, just back away slowly. Think I hear the blender. Must be the happy hour. Later.

Reply to
Billy Rose

I'm glad ya'll be havin' such a good time at pore ole Charlie's expense. Charlie gets harnessed and forced to walk the long rows today, and you just poke at him.

De Bone Man recommended this very thing to me. He sez, "Charlie, you got to strengthen your center, boy. You got to do these little scrunchy things everday, fore you even get out of de bed. You don't do these things, Charlie, I'm a gonna keep on hurtin' ya!"

He recommended, and is now adding to his staff, one of those muscle kneader people too.

He is on track and I trust him....'cept them damn bones and chickens kinda spook me.

This is takin' awhile to get online tonite cuz my Lovely decided to slap the harness on me first thing today. She can be cruel, she can, so very cruel!

Someone did send me one of me favorite brews, and the boys stopped by and left me some more. They are good lads, they drop off some libation and then leave me alone. It's not like they aren't in and out of here, oh, several thousand times a week anyway!

Anyways, I been sneakin' off and keepin' up today, just no time to post. I still have a room to paint tonite, but that should only take a an hour or so.

Later, you can go back to your pokin' fun at an old man with a weak center

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Count on it!

Lettin' you know when the little guy makes his entrance, that is.

She has been having light labor for about thirty hours, nothing major, just gettin' everything in order and arranged. She was only dilated .5, that's point 5, on Friday. Won't be too long though.

Thanks for the well-wish

Sounds as if your plate is quite full these days. Gonna be a long summer?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Weak center Charlie? Oh my god, the pods have gotten him. What color spandex you gonna get Charlie?

Oh the shame of it all. And the cost.

Another man's gone down. Another man's gone down.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Check out seedsofchange.com....better yet, get your hands on the paper catalog. They are listing sunlight requirements for veggies. I found some surprises. There are quite a few that will tolerate a fair amount of shade. shade is a problem for me, in thelimited space we have.

Charlie, who most certainly has noticed your disparaging comments about my delicate condition

Reply to
Charlie

Rae, don't you pay any attention to Mister Billy regarding my condition, ya' hear?

He's mean, just plain mean, I tell ya'!

All the trouble I go to to help that poor old man grow some decent food on that shady hillside, and all I get is remarks about my new spandex exercise ensemble.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

supermarkets

Ok, you may have to excuse me for some of the assumptions I have made such as grass feeding or the level of subsidies. My apologies if I got parts of it wrong. Those were assumptions, though I would add the EU does subsidise its farmers. Whether sheep farmers are exempt from that I am not sure.

That said, the issue of carbon emissions in the total package still stands. Buying British lamb versus NZ lamb on food miles/carbon foot print alone does not stack up. British lamb produces around 4 times the amount of greenhouses gasses landing in the British supermarket as does NZ lamb. Hence my comment that the issue is more complex than that. The executive summary of the report drawn on is the third link, the full report is the 4th link. rob

?CFID=9817&CFTOKEN=11005406&c=36&l=96&i=3143

Reply to
George.com

The article is about organic farming in *Europe* - I don't know what the situation is in the US, but in the UK, organic standards are very strictly enforced by the soil association - the organic stamp has as much to do with animal welfare as what went on the food. It costs the farmer a lot of =A3 to get, too, *because* it's strictly enforced and because it's a *guarantee*. Soil association foods are not contaminated in any way, not by farm drift or even traffic pollution

Eggs, especially are strictly demarked. If an egg says it's free range (and in the UK that means the hens run around free, not in any cage and not inside a building (that =3D barn eggs)) then that egg *is* free range.

Maya

British farmers do NOT get big subsidies from the EU. The average lamb carcass is getting the farmer around 25p - 0.25% of a =A3 - profit. Farmers are going out of business all over the UK.

British lamb is fantastic, too, an almost entirely grass reared. VERY rare for UK sheep to go indoors any time of the year.

You wanna check your facts, mate.

Maya.

Reply to
Maya