Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europe’s Farmers

Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europe?s Farmers by Adam Mitchell / Rachel Shields

BRUSSELS - The organic revolution is sweeping across Europe, with the area of land dedicated to environmentally-friendly, pesticide-free food production more than doubling in the last decade.

Organic farming now accounts for more than 4 per cent of agricultural land in the EU, more than double its 1998 share, according to a new report from its official statistics agency, Eurostat. 0614 07

And organic land is likely to make greater inroads, as the consumer appetite shows no sign of slowing.

?Organic almost certainly will continue to grow and we think it?s a good thing,? Michael Mann, an EU agriculture spokesman said.

The growth is partly being driven by Europe?s farmers, who are being undercut by produce imported from countries such as Brazil. For many farmers, organic foods are becoming a key way to reinvent their failing farms.

?Farmers are coming under growing pressure from low-cost producers abroad,? Mr Mann said. ?They have to be smart and think of increasing profit margins and organic is one way of doing that.?

Conscious of this ballooning market, agriculture ministers from the 27 member states agreed this week on a compulsory logo, to be introduced from 2009, designed to reassure consumers that they are getting the genuine article.

The logo guarantees that at least 95 per cent of ingredients are completely free of chemicals - and imports will be subject to the same rule. But it also permits up to 0.9 per cent from genetically-modified organisms, a level that has angered green campaigners.

?It is a total cop-out by the European Union - setting a level of 0.9 per cent could result in the creeping GM contamination of organic food,? said Ben Ayliffe, of Greenpeace. ?It should be 0.1 per cent.?

?Go into any supermarket and they are bursting with organic food, while GM foods are conspicuous by their absence. That?s because consumers don?t want them!? he added.

In recent years, European consumers have shown themselves willing to pay more for organic produce, reflecting an aversion to chemicals and a growing preference for natural farming techniques over the high-intensity production that has been blamed for crises such as BSE and foot-and-mouth disease.

Recognising this fact, Brussels will now provide higher levels of subsidy for organic farming, than that given to non organic fruit and vegetables.

The UK has been a leader in organic farming. In 2005, more than 600,000 hectares of the country?s farmland were cultivated organically, putting it ahead of France, a country more than twice its size. Yet only 3.8 per cent of UK farmland was devoted to organic production, compared with 11 per cent in Austria. The Alpine nation has a reputation as a strong opponent of intensive and biotech farming, recently refusing to follow an EU ruling allowing a type of genetically-modified maize made by Monsanto.

While the Eurostat report primarily compared the 15 nations that joined the EU before 2004, it also pointed out that some of the biggest organic farms now are to be found in newcomers Slovakia and Czech Republic.

© 2007 Independent News and Media Limited
Reply to
Charlie

First of all I wish you would adjust your line length in order that your posts were more readable. Secondly, I wish you would stop your damned topposting. Your posts are a mess to read.

This last line shows how full of shit you are sherwin. Actually the whole post is shit, your denigration and deprecation of organic farming and your outright lying about profit motive.

By the way, I put this back in rec.gardens, which you trimmed, where it originated, and where folks are a little more willing to call you on your shill ways.

Reply to
Charlie

Uh, by and large, I agree with you Charlie but in truth between the Government and the industrial agri-business complex there is a whole lotta hanky-panky goin' on. You want organic? Go to your local farmers market. Look 'em in the eye and ask what they are selling. Foor god's sake don't go to Whole Foods and think you are getting the real deal. Whole foods has a zillion stores to fill and they like one stop industrial shopping. If the producer can produce an organic label, that is all that they want to see, even if it is still a factory. The food on your plate doesn't have to travel 1,500 miles to get there.

Think Global. Eat Local.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

genetically-modified

Personally I am not that hung up on the concept of 'organic'. The term is often used fast and loosely to envoke all things good. I am happy to buy locally, and somewhat seasonally. That things are organic or not is a subset of that thinking. Just because a banana grown 5,000 miles away is organic or not doesn't make a huge bearing on whether or not I buy the banana. Some mandarins grown organically 20 or 50 kms away may, or some moderate spray mandarins grown 20 or 50 km away may prevail in my shopping hierarchy.

That said, coffee or chocolate (or whatever) grown where fair prices are paid to the producers will sometimes be a condition on my purchases. Often such 'fair trade' growing are also organicly grown anyway. Buying things locally keep a lot of money in local circulation, buying fiar trade puts more money in the pockets of farmers who are sometimes at the bottom of the heap.

Organic products, grown on slavery wages and shipped 1/2 way round the world to me rate little higher than chemical enhanced products, grown on slave wages & shipped 1/2 way round the world to me.

Local goods, with reasonable money going to the producer, do rate quite highly in my book. If they are organic & the grower uses practises that enhance the soil then that is great. If they are not organic they are still acceptable.

rob

Reply to
George.com

I'm pretty much with you Rob. Sustainability is another concept that I think is important; not relying on petrochemical insecticides and fertilizers. See Senior moment post for yesterday and the excerpts from Michael Pollan's book "Omnivor'e Dilemma".

- Billy

Billy Rose

Oh for sure, Billy. I know this. Like the difference between, say Organic Valley milk and standards and Dean/Horizon milk and standards.

I trust Oregon Tilth certification......USDA certification means shit. The new farm bill was a travesty, in that it lowered the standards to allow the industrial boys to play the organic game, and allowing bastardized products to be sold. The average consumer won't know the screwin' they are getting.

Just like eggs that are sold as "cage free" and all that. Words, my friend, words. You can pack a hundred chickens in two hundred square feet and technically they are not caged.

Feh......

Lots of interest around the country in the one hundred mile rule, and other distances.......it really makes you aware.

Yes, think global, eat local.

On a personal note....younger son and wife are narrowing in on the birthing. Doin' the labor thing...don't know if it is the real deal yet. And you know, it breaks my freakin' heart to think what the little guy is going to inherit from all of us. I am going to be one busy sumbo before I die.

You take care and keep spreadin' the word. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I agree, and your points about the fair trade issue are very important, and not dealt with here often.

My harping about organic is an ideal and some pot banging. I realize that a some of what I eat now is not, but the goal and the intent is to keep going that way as much as possible *and* factor in the other things as well.

Same reason, I will not spend one dime at the walmart any longer. You have to start somewhere and the more you do and learn the more natural it becomes.

Take Care, Rob Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

"Supermarket Pastorial" is the style that Michael Pollan uses to refer to terms like "Cage Free" or "Free Range", or that cow on the milk carton, standing out in the middle of a lush green pasture. Free run chickens from Petaluma Poultry are caged (a very large cage, as Charlie mentioned) for 5 weeks, then a little door is opened that gives them access to a short outside run, and 2 weeks later they are bagged and shipped to market; "Free Range". Not exactly the dream of Joel Salatin. Who?

we don't push back, the day will come that we rent our clothes and furniture. We'll be the equivelent of "Free Range" citzens and, for that occasional, special treat, we'll eat "real type" food, not the normal, synthetic stuff.

"Supermarket Pastorial", globalization has plans for all of us.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Not shop at Wally World? You must have seen the article:

----------

Organic Food Deception by Wal-Mart POSTED BY Dr. Mercola May 09, 2007 Wisconsin consumer fraud investigators have released the findings of a three-month investigation into Wal-Mart's alleged practice of misidentifying conventional food items as organic.

The investigation, run by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, found many instances of conventional food products improperly labeled as organic, in violation of Wisconsin state statutes.

Wisconsin regulators sent only a formal warning to the retail giant, and said that they had reached an agreement with the company under which steps would be taken to prevent future misrepresentations. Wisconsin officials said that they would continue their surveillance of Wal-Mart stores.

The Cornucopia Institute, an organization dedicated to preserving organic standards, has a photo gallery on its Web page showing conventional food products that were priced and labeled as organic foods in Wal-Mart stores.

Yahoo News May 8, 2007

---------

Now that is cutting the overhead.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Its all part of the mix isn't it. Organic can mean sfa. Sustainable farming/growing practices, where the products are shipped from, how they are shipped, how they are stored, prices paid to growers etc etc. Buying on a claim or organic alone, or on distance shipped, or on price will not always yield the result you hoped for.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Choir, buddy, choir.

Money talks, and bullshit walks.

Eff walmart.

Cornucopia...good org.

Oh crikey.....You're now quoting from Quacky Joe's site?

Heh heh......I read often. Good info.

Say.....where you at on chiropractic? I'm already there and have some good results.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Indeed it is, as I am learning. I've eaten many apples from your land, but there is no reason for this.

It's a complicated, yet surprisingly simple, concept and practice to support, and implement, if only the rest of the world would step back and take a good look at what many of us know and are learning.

Thanks for putting this more into perspective, for me,

Aside and OT:

I have read Tolkein many, many times in my life. Never a better tale written. I never, ever thought *anyone* could make a film about LOTR.

Jackson did it.

Man, you live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I find myself envious.

Ya'll raise some damn fine apples too, bet they taste better in your land! But I'm buying local now, when possible. ;-)

Well met and care, Rob Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Rob, Rob, Rob,

that's why you buy local. If'n the anal sphincter tries to intercourse you, you can rip 'em a new one. Uh, I'm mean, you can lodge a formal complaint.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (with only the most modest of intent in mind)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Whaat? Ol' Quackey Joe's been rippin' off me material? Oh, lord love a duck.

Sorry, I'm beyond the witch doctor. It's called yo-ga. At's cause I'm cheap. Got me mate? Cheap. Where's it at Charlie boy? We'll 'ave you up and plowin' the north forty, quicker than youkinsay,"Bob's your uncle".

Now where's that Eskimo lady you want me to wrestle?

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (at least every other tuesday)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Billy, Billy, Billy........you're living the the land of alternatives and newage.......have a little faith in the alternatives, brother.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

What? Pay some guy/gal who thinks that s/he can cure anything with a spinal alignment when a little rolling around on the ground will do the same thing? I have to admit that participatory medicine isn't my first choice. I'm much more into spectator health and rather have something done to me, preferably a pill. But there is no denying that if you take up yoga, you can kiss your chiropractor good-bye (If you have that kind of relationship, that is. I hope she's cute.). And that's the truth, ppplllt.

- Billy

Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (morgen)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....and she is a he, pretty cute though.

Tell ya what (those of a sensitve nature, EXIT NOW!)...the chicken bone-shaker saved me manberry. The pill pushers gave up on pushin' pills and wanted to start surgin', on account of the pain, and minor torsion.

Mister Bone Man made some smoke shook de bones and worked some good juju, and things are feelin' right again, after several decades of not feelin' right. Legs are the same length as well.

Now, perhaps I can think about yoga. See ya on the morrow.

Charlie, which in some translations comes off as "manly"

Reply to
Charlie

C'mon, that's not the point Sherwin. The old usenet conventions have a purpose. Readability and ease of response. Standards. I'm not tryin' to "score points" against you. This "game" isn't about points and all that crap... it's not a game....it's about life,....mine, yours, our children's and so on. I'm asking people to stop poisoning my progency.

No doubt about it, I'm already effed.

Dammit Sherwin, if you were following the whole organic discussions and checking up online, you would find you are agreeing with me,in part. The large agri-biz concerns are bastardizing the whole thing. They

*are* fleecing the public! Of course there are fallacies.....should be more like.,,,felonies.

I'm more concerned about saving my grandson and my two unborn grandchildren from the toxic overload that is being forced upon them. Any littel bit that I can to to relieve that burden to their systems, I will do. From growing as much food as I can, that is chemical free, to purchasing as much as I can that is truly organic, to fighting with those of you who disparage and malign the organic food movement.

Your attempt at comparing the defense of organic growing to a cult and trying to align it with a "religious" thing only shows your lack of understanding about the issues.

Of course organic farming has merit. It's not only the air you breathe. What about the water you drink, with it's pesticide load? The same water is showing a load of pharmaceuticals, from disposal and elimination.

You have to do some research and determine which companies, and which certification organizations are worthy. USDA certs won't do it..They are biased towards the factory farms and big agi-biz....ADM. Monsanto, Cargill, ad nauseum

I didn't follow you. I posted this to both groups, which I read. You thought you could avoid the discussion by trimming one group?

I just put it back again. I don't need the backup of any "cronies". I've been fighting the system for decades, mostly on my own, in one way or another.

I'm sorry to have thrown reality in your face. You thought you would find "cronies" here to support the use of poison on our food, Rational people do not condone the use of poison. I cannot, in all good conscience, let it rest.

C'mon Sherwin....we're crappin' in our own nest. People are dying on account of our practices. Fetus developement is being genetically altered. I have one grandchild about to be born and another due in October. Are you pleased to share in the toxic burden placed upon their development? I'm not, and I share responsibility as well.

My children and grandchildren must inherit this toxic mess we are going to leave them as a legacy.

Please... stop the poisoning of us. I am not all about scoring and all that shit. I just want people to quit adding to the already heavy toxic load we all bear.

Please, Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

you make me sound like some sage or guru Charlie. Not so, merely the mass of confusion that can surround buying environmentally. If can be very complex, something I struggle to decipher as much as anyone else. Simplistic notions often fail to capture subtleties. Marketing of 'organic' have no great catch on me. I am cynical about marketing as a rule, the depth and manipulation of late capitalism makes me so. We are manipulated beyond belief by the capitalist marketing system, I view much with a wary eye. Simply having a marketing guru tell me something is organic does not make me buy it.

Some examples I can draw on, only as examples mind. It seems UK supermarkets are starting to label food miles on produce, I guess in an attempt for consumers to gauge carbon footprints. The concept in isolation however is flawed. NZ lamb is shipped 1/2 way round the world to Britain in container ships. British lamb is shipped by truck. The carbon per carcass may be less per NZ lamb than british lamb, given that shipping is so much more efficient per ton per mile. Moreover, our lamb produces way less greenhouse gases (carbon & methane) to produce than British lamb. Our sheep live outside 365 days & eat predominantly grass (grown in situ), supplemented by hay and sileage (harvested in situ). Much British lamb is reared indoors during winter & fed grains and the like (grown elsewhere and trucked in). The power from processing this side of the world comes mainly from hydro, with some geothermal and wind and some gas & coal. Much of British power comes from coal and nuclear. So, all up, British lamb produces around 4 times the greenhouse gases that NZ lamb does. Buying lamb on food miles alone will f up the atmosphere 4 times more than nz lamb.

We have had a British chef/cook touring NZ promoting her books & videos. She recommend eating local & seasonally. She would not use NZ lamb. If she did so on the basis of food miles then she will pollute the atmosphere more than buying NZ lamb. More than that she polluted the atmosphere flying down here to sell her wares.

I cannot comment on taste issues for buying local, never having tried British lamb. NZ lamb however is pretty nice stuff. British lamb would have to be super nice to beat our stuff. Buying british will help keep british farmers in money, that is for sure, although their farmers get nice fat subsidies from the EU.

All up, the arguments for buying British lamb don't stack up on all fronts. There are mixed for and against.

rob

Reply to
George.com

ok charlie, you gonna start blasting me for sometimes top-posting myself?..............(laughing) let us know when the new baby arrives & happy father's day to all the guys!

Rae

Reply to
raeannsimpson