Mr Lincoln putting out weak blooms

Our Mr Lincoln Hybrid Tea rose has put out beautiful fragrant blooms for years. But it has gradually faded. It now puts out only small, rather shapeless not fragrant red blooms. Would appreciate any suggestions on what to do to bring the original blooms back.. if anything can be done. Thanks

Reply to
ncstockguy

I would guess that Mr. Lincoln was a grafted rose, and has now died. The rootstock is now blooming and is not grown for its attractive blooms. Dig it up and replace it with a new Mr. Lincoln. Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

Check the base of the bush. If the shoots are growing from a knob (the bud union, where it was grafted), then it is still Mr. Lincoln. If the shoots are growing from below the knob, then you have lost it.

Roses need ample water but not soggy soil. They need ample nutrients. They prefer an acid soil. And they need severe pruning before the start of the growing season.

Nutrients and an acid soil can be provided through the use of ammonium sulfate plus iron sulfate. Alternatively, use any lawn food that does not contain an herbicide; then add soil sulfur mixed with a little compost.

Soggy soil can be improved through the use of gypsum.

If there are few or no new shoots from the knob, feed it with about 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). Magnesium promotes new shoots.

If the plant has been in the ground more than 15 years, give it phosphorus (either bone meal or superphosphate), which promotes flowers. Phosphorus does not dissolve and leach through the soil; instead, it must be applied where the roots will find it. See the 28 January entry in my garden diary at to learn how I applied superphosphate to old roses.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I found if too much fertilizer is applied, my rose bushes burst into blooms then a major setback follows. Now I use about a cup of cow manure every two weeks on each plant (an entire bag at one time is too much). Fish emulsion is excellent and slow release. Use inorganic (salt) fertilizers sparingly on roses or perhaps not at all.

Reply to
Phisherman