Joe Pye Weed on Culvert Side?

LOL.. Ok, so it IS a bit boring, but eh, I'll give it a shot before deciding to put it to death.

As for the crown vetch, actually I was thinking of putting it beside the road to grow in a shallow ditch there so I don't have to mess with it.. Or is it invasive enough that a mower won't knock it in line?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Possibly, depends what you can get to grow there among all the native plants... and 200' of ground is a heck of a lot to cultivate by hand, which will be necessasry to keep the native stuff from crowding out your new additions.

This is funny... um, deer eat most all plants... what you have growing there now is probably only there because it's not on the deer menu. If you have deer browsing there you can pretty much forget about growing anything other than what's already there. However there are some very nice plants that are pretty much deer proof as well as excellent wildlife cover; barberry and ragusa rose are just two

It's very easy to naturalize, actually easier than to create a formal garden.

I can't think of any plant that attracts birds and butterflies that deer won't devour.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

You neglected to include those in your pictures.... and those are bare half the year... evergreens would be more pleasing dispersed amongst what's already there... deer generally don't eat spruce... I have literaly thousands of Colorado blue spruce and Norway spruce on my property, the deer seek it out for shelter but don't ever give it even a nibble... they don't bother white pine either.

If you can get them to grow/survive... and it depends what you designate wildlife; snakes, frogs, toads, salamanders, turtles/ tortoises mice, and much more are all on my wildlife list.

Nothing psychotic... my 7' mower can handle a 6' width easily, and can be offset to cut a wider swath.... what's psychotic is to think things people suggest can't be done. I have a similar ditch on my property and it continues onto my neighbors land, I mow along my portion but he dons coveralls and waders and string trims his portion down to nubs

2-3 times a year.

The reason I figured that ditch is there in the first place. But still you can have a pond or some water feature, suppliment water with a hose and use a pump to recirculate from one end to the other, line the ditch and you can create a 200' babbling brook, even have waterfalls and koi filled meditation pools. Your only limitation is your imagination, and of course your wallet.

If it's not your land you should obtain permission before doing anything with that ditch, it may even be designated wetlands... you can buy yourself a very hefty fine and even end up incarcerated.

I would do very careful research regarding that land before doing anything, especially since it's not your land.

Reply to
Sheldon

Excellent advice, especially the wildflowers... too many think they're all weeds.

Reply to
Sheldon

[...]

Snipped back to here.. Said the whole thing isn't mine, not none of it.. half the ditch is on my property line.

At any rate, do appreciate the advice. Short of calling one of the local farmers, I'm just a normal joe and don't have access to them fancy mowers.. ;)

Also, not eradicating everything, Just working with the top 1/4 of my side.

Far as deer go, you must have tons of them to think they demolish anything edible.. We've got grape vines, blackberry, figs and several other things which they for the most part leave alone. Besides, I can share.

Else I'd be shooting the pesky squirrels who keep eating the pecans. ;)

Also seeding the whole yard with clover to feed the fluffy bunnies, bees, deer and anything else that wants it..

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Scott I think your idea is great, and it sounds like you will be busy enjoying the outdoors and the wildlife! In the ''Prairie" area of my yard, I have Purple New England Asters, and Goldenrod. The butterflies and the native bees love it. The Kwanzaa daylilies would be nice too. They do spread quite enthusiastically, so watch that they don't take over. Joe Pye Weed is also nice. (Eupatorium purpureum) There is another Eupatorium, called 'Chocolate' That is a very nice plant. A nice grass that I enjoy is Switch Grass, Panicum virgatum.

I know you are going to have fun, so show us a picture when things get going! Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca