combating inchworms on plum trees

anyone have some suggestions? I wish to use the plums, so I'd prefer something not too nasty

Reply to
Tater

spray with Bt (Bacillus thurengiensis), available in most any garden center. When the worms eat it with the leaves, the bacteria kills them. It is safe for people, but it affects all worms/caterpillars, so be careful not to spray it where you don't need it.

Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236AT

Reply to
Treedweller

You might try applying a sticky substance like Tanglefoot in a band around the trunk of your tree. You can put something between the tree and the sticky stuff to protect the bark. This will trap the female worms as they climb up the tree to lay their eggs for the next season.

Sherw> anyone have some suggestions? I wish to use the plums, so I'd prefer

Reply to
sherwindu

What does tanglefoot do to the bark if you don't put the barrier there? I always wondered, never found where it said what would happen.

Reply to
Charles

yup. this is the stuff. you gotta get it into the tents tho.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:05:46 -0500, Treedweller

Reply to
dr-solo

It does leave a dark stain, for sure. I have not noticed any damage yet to the bark itself, as I applied it directly two seasons ago.

Sherw> >

Reply to
sherwindu