Can you really "burn a lawn" by watering when the sun is shining on it?

I have recently read that you shouldn't water at night because it promotes fungus. It is presently almost 100 degrees here during the day so I am afraid of watering then because I have heard that the sun will burn the grass. Any advice on this topic would be welcome. Also I would appreciate any tips on watering ammounts in this environment. My zip code is 92405.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
majcrash

If the hose has been sitting in the sun, any water actually in the hose could get warm enough to cook a little grass, but once the water in the hose has been flushed-out, and you're getting the fresh stuff from the faucet, that risk is gone.

And no, the little droplets of water on the grass do not turn into magnifying glasses, and focus the sunlight. Part of that magnifying glass burning something paradigm is that the magnifying glass can't be touching what it's supposed to be burning. There's no room for the rays to be focused if they don't have to travel far after entering the lens.

The problem with watering in full sun is evaporation. Some water evaporates before it even comes back down to the ground - especially if you have a fine spray. And of what lands on the grass, too much evaporates before dripping down to the soil, and being soaked-up. Remember, you're trying to water the soil so the water gets to the roots. Spraying water on the blades of grass does no good.

The best time to water is to finish watering around dawn. But if you're getting 100 degree days, unless you're dropping down into a humid 60's overnight, you probably won't need to worry too much about fungus. Still, a $20 timer can solve the problem, and start the watering while you're still sleeping, and you'll never forget to turn it off, either.

Reply to
Warren

Water in the morning between the hours of 6 and 11 and you will be fine.

Reply to
Bourne Identity