Bract Trees: Linden/Basswood - collecting/starting seeds?

Two questions for a beekeeper in Massachusetts: 1. How does one tell the difference between a Linden and a Basswood? I can quickly identify a tree with the correct overall shape, leaf shape, and if it has bracts, but have no idea the difference between these two trees. 2. What methods would you recommend to collect the seeds, and germinate them? I've collected a decent quantity of seeds... what to do now?

Reply to
<tia

Maybe I want to start my own nursury for Basswood/Linden's...

Reply to
<tia

For my area, basswood leaves are huge and more crinkled than linden. Linden trees often have hundreds of seedlings underneath them. I've never looked under basswood. I've pulled up a few linden sprouts and transplanted them. They seem to be doing well, keeping my fingers crossed that they'll survive winter.

If there's one you like in particular, consider taking a cutting in spring and root it with some rooting hormones.

Reply to
Pen

When did you find linden seedlings... Spring? Fall? Are you talking about new seedlings, or some that may have sprouted a year or two ago?

I'm curious if the seeds need a wintering cycle thus sprouting in Spring, or not, thus sprouting in Fall.

I like the rooting idea - for now, Fall here in Mass, I'd like to see what I can do with the seeds.

Reply to
<tia