Bees --help

Hi, situation: Bees have moved into a 35 gal. overturned black plastic nursery pot. Observed entering and leaving the drainage holes, seems to be a hundred or more. Appear to be honey bees. Question: How can this be moved about five feet without hurting the bees? Any suggestions on harvesting honey at some point? Zone 10. TIA -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

Honey bees do not fly at night. Gently move the pot about six inches each night until you get it to where you want it. If you move it too far at night the bees will not find the hive when they come back from there first flight in the morning. Harvesting the honey will be more difficult. Beekeepers make the bees put the honey on factory made combs so it can be removed easily. In your situation the combs must be cut out with a knife which makes the bees very angry''. I would contact the local beekeepers club and ask for assistance removing honey.

Gary

Ex beekeeper

Reply to
Gary and Karen Manning

Contact a local beekeeper. You won't be able to harvest honey from a 35 gallon pot, but I think a beekeeper might can coax the bees into a commercial bee hive, and the bees will transfer the honey and brood to their new home.

I wouldn't attempt it this time of year in most climates because the bees will use up their store of honey to make new comb; then they'll be in trouble for winter. In zone 10, you're probably OK.

All this is assuming they are honeybees.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

:) Hi, :) situation: Bees have moved into a 35 gal. overturned black plastic nursery :) pot. Observed entering and leaving the drainage holes, seems to be a hundred :) or more. Appear to be honey bees. :) Question: How can this be moved about five feet without hurting the bees? :) Any suggestions on harvesting honey at some point? Zone 10. :) TIA -_- how :) no NEWS is good :) Make sure they are honeybees...just about all calls I get this time of year for honeybees turns out to be yellow jackets. If they are honey bees, as earlier suggested contact local bee keepers to aid you.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

First make sure you have honey bees. Bees will be fuzzy and carrying loads of pollen on their rear legs as they enter the hive. Wasps will be smooth and not carrying anything on their rear legs. If you move them at night or during the rain you will have less trouble but I would blow a puff or two of smoke at the hole they enter and wait 2 minutes first. 5' should not be a problem providing it is in direct sight of the original loaction but for a few days you will have bees circling the original spot and then moving to the new one. Better would be 2 moves of 2-3' but not absolutely required. (What bees these mortals fool) What you have is essentially a bee skep and that is how bees were kept for centuries. In most cases bees were killed to harvest the wax and honey. Skeps are not lawful in most places because the hive cannot be inspected for disease. Tell that to the feral colonies!

Reply to
Beecrofter

Hi, Thanks guys for the info. I'm sure they are honey bees, they are fuzzy and have stuff on their hind legs. Going to move them gradually and only because my wife fears attack, I know they are basically harmless. Any harm with just leaving them in the new location and not harvesting? Thanks again, -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

Stop talking about killer bees. I just moved into a new house with a huge butterfly bush right near the door. It's covered with butterflies, and (thus far) very happy looking bees. I have enough to think about, what with 819 U-Haul boxes all over the floor. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

No harm at all, if they overwinter and are prosperous expect them to throw off a swarm in May or June. A strong colony may be a bit more defensive also and you have no real control over the bloodlines so you may get a batch of bees that are a bit testy.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Reply to
J. Davidson

Hi, Thanks again, so far they seem very friendly and industrious. L8R -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how