Beautiful "weed" - Epipactis helleborine

I had wonderful surprise in my garden a week ago. I had resisted pulling a weed that was growing amongst some hostas along the foundation of my house, and it bloomed...the most beautiful orchid-like flowers, with a lavendar and green color.

After much searching on the web, I've finally identified it - Epipactis helleborine:

else have this plant? Any ideas on how I can encourage it to keep coming back?

:) Carol

Reply to
cewolf

I have something that looks like this growing in the wooded part of my property. I don't recall ever seeing it bloom, however. Now I will start searching to see if I can find one in bloom. I have been weeding it out of my beds. It is really pretty. I'm in zone 6.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I should have mentioned....I am in zone 6 as well (Northern New Jersey) and this plant is located in a part shade spot that gets some filtered sunlight in the morning. I make compost out of mulched oak leaves, so I presume the soil is quite acidic (and therefore woodland-like).

CW

Reply to
cewolf

Hey Carol! I had something like that happen to me this year too! We only bought our house last year and have just put in some rock garden. We bought mulch from a local nursery and have had really quite allot of junk in it but I have tried to watch for weeds.

These two little guys came up all on their own and WOW what a great surprise!

am hoping to get seeds from them and to grow them again next year Arent blooming surprises just wonderful!

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com expounded:

They grow as far north as Middleton, NH, which is zone 5a, I believe. I don't think you need to do anything to them to keep them, they grow where they're happy :o) I've seen them in several places around here in New England, all in moist, woodsy soil, and while I've never done a pH test, I'm sure the soil is very acid.

Reply to
Ann

: They grow as far north as Middleton, NH, which is zone 5a, I believe. : I don't think you need to do anything to them to keep them, they grow : where they're happy :o) I've seen them in several places around here : in New England, all in moist, woodsy soil, and while I've never done a : pH test, I'm sure the soil is very acid.

I have seen it in Finland growing on dry limestone cliffs. Unfortunately, it is not an weed in Europe.

Reply to
Erkki Aalto

: They grow as far north as Middleton, NH, which is zone 5a, I believe. : I don't think you need to do anything to them to keep them, they grow : where they're happy :o) I've seen them in several places around here : in New England, all in moist, woodsy soil, and while I've never done a : pH test, I'm sure the soil is very acid.

I have seen it in Finland growing on dry limestone cliffs. Unfortunately, it is not a weed in Europe.

Reply to
Erkki Aalto

Reply to
Lady Blacksword