Are the big gardening magazines worth the money?

:-) Exactly! I've been so frustrated with that show. I was disappointed in the production company's response about using plants and techniques with a wider appeal but what can one expect -- it IS the left coast after all.

I like Gardening by the Yard -- Paul James hits all climates and he's out in Oklahoma (Zone 6 or 7, I think 7) so it's much more realistic plus he actually does remotes and his garden/landscape is obviously successful. :) I can't stand the DIY channel's gardening show -- their host is too annoying. Landscape Solutions is ok, although I don't care for the host, but they suffer the same issues as Landscaper's Challenge -- little cross applicability. Fix It Up has the occasional garden/landscape related show but they're more home improvement in general as one would expect.

For the main part, when I watch the Landscape X shows it's just to pick up a tip or two on fixing a sore spot.

James

Reply to
JNJ

There's a new(ish) show called Bugs and Blooms which originates in Canada. I haven't spent much time with it, but it's a magazine-type show instead of a project show.

Reply to
Chelsea Christenson

Hadn't heard about that 'un -- I'll have to search it up. Thanks for the tip.

James.

Reply to
JNJ

I think those shows should come back a year later, and then see what the place looks like. That way the plants would fill in a little more, and there would be less emphasis on putting in plants that are already blooming.

Reply to
Paul Below

Oh, absolutely! I wish 'Ground Force' (or other TV transformation shows) would do a '1 yr later' special. The stuff that died; the stuff that thrived. Was a non-gardener inspired to spend some time keeping up the new look, or did he/she/they just watch it get completely out of hand? My pessimistic bet is that most will have deteriorated at least somewhat. But what a treat it'd be to see some further improvements! I wonder and wonder...

Reply to
Frogleg

Heh -- more like see what plants actually survived. :P

James

Reply to
JNJ