Any insurance agents here? A question

I got a question. Most auto insurers will waive the deductable and pay for chip repair on a windshield rather than pay for a windshield replacement minus the deductable. Well, I have a willow tree that's dying. $950 to have it taken day, and that doesn't include the stump. Another $275 for this. I can't afford to have this done. There are a few big limbs that hang out over my neighbors fence and inground swimming pool. Do you think the insurance company who writes my homeowner's policy might pay to have the tree taken down or at least the dead limbs removed rather than eventually pay not only for cleaning up fallen limbs, but also paying for any damage done to neighbor's property?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Nice try.

They not only will not pay - they won't likely pay out a claim if it does fall down (or will collect it back from you after having to pay your neighbour) because you had a pre-existing dangerous condition that you knew about but did nothing to correct.

Your tree=your problem. Try throwing rocks at your own windshield and see if they pay for the repair work ;-)

You can't just sit on your hands if you have a problem that may affect other people and say "Oh my - I guess someone esle will pay" - although far too many people do seem to adopt your approach.

Reply to
Bill Spohn

car insurance with FULL glass, they dont do it for nothing............and they arent likely to pay out for something that "might" happen.

thats why its called insurance

Reply to
chaz

____Reply Separator_____ Then why do health insurance carries pay for mamograms, colon screenings, etc.?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Because the procedures are a stated part of the coverage. Health "insurance" differs from other types of insurance, like fire insurance. There is a component to healthcare called prevention or wellness. Homeowner's insurance is designed to spread the risk of catastrophic loss over a large base of policy holders. It isn't generally designed to prevent loss by paying for maintenance. However, an insurance company may decline to write a policy if they inspect you home and find dangerous conditions.

If you applied the concept of prevention to homeowner's insurance, you could rightfully expect the insurance company to fix your broken porch railing, replace heaved sidewalks, have your chimney cleaned, and so on. If that were the standard for policies, you would never be able to afford the premiums.

As someone mentioned, if you know that the tree poses a likely danger and you don't address the problem, you might be willfully negligent.

Reply to
Vox Humana

And some testing is required, by law, to be covered.

Reply to
Retiredff

I agree with the others - it's the owners responsibility to take care of the property. If you knew your electrical panel was sparking would you fix it or wait for the house to catch fire so Allstate could call the electrician for you?

Reply to
Mike LaMana