Subject Author Posted Replies

Newby question(s)
Just bought a house for the first time (at age 60!), and I have a back yard I'd like to clear. Of course, I'd like to clear the lot myself. Lot is about 50'x30. Ordinarily I'd just take my time, clear...
9
9

Companion planting
(**&&^%^%$#! Can't find the Website I used to consult. Any suggestions? Specifically, I want to plant some corn in the same bed as existing strawberries (Yes, plenty of room). OK, or contra-indicated?...
9
9

Sheep Manure/Compost
Does Sheep Manure make good compost? Been looking for some compost, and ran across this add on craigslist: We have lots of cheep sheep manure/compost. $20 per scoop. Scoops weigh between 500 and 600...
4
4

How to kill selective Bleeding Hearts plants..
Bleeding hearts is over running portions of my garden. When I try to dig up the roots i always end of splicing the roots. And wow do the roots of that plant spread out.... Considering I have lots of...
2
2

Bagworms disappeared?
Hi folks - hoping someone with some bagworm experience can maybe shed some light on this... We have a mid-size Arborvitae and recently discovered a substantial infestation of bagworms. We started...

Wild roses
I'm in the midwest -- are wild roses invasive? There in bloom right now and really beautiful. Do they need full sun? Thought I may take some cuttings and start some.
1
1

similar clematis
Hi, I have clematis louise rowe, and would like another similar (flower size/habit/flowering time) clematis, can anyone advise me which would be similar or complement, any advise would be great,...

Grass in Iris and Day Lilies
I have issues with grass in Day Lilies and Iris. These are beds I do not want to renovate. I don't mind weeding, but the grass has me buffaloed. Anyone have any experience using Poast herbicide in...
2
2

help identifiying these plants !
No doubt and the noise of the grasshoppers dancing will keep you awake at night unless you wear fluffy slippers to bed. [On your ears not your feet, you may need sticky tape] D
3
3

Worms in my container garden?
I bought a 40 gallon livestock watering trough for my new patio container garden (also lots of pots and an Earth Box for two tomato plants). My son-in-law suggest that I get some worms and put in the...
13
13

what to do with these seedlings
Hi, I'm new to gardening so I will probably be asking some stupid questions. I've planted some Naga Chilli and Desert Rose seeds and they've 'come up.' Should I re-pot them (they are in smallish tubs...

Dedicated Composting Pile versus Tossing Scraps Into the Garden
I was cutting the tops off strawberries this morning while thinking about something I heard on a gardening show that plays on the radio here. A lady called in, said she cut up banana peels into...
22
22

Strange (fungal?) growth on soil
Hi For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight...
8
8

Gardenia Tree
Hello I have a beautful Gardenia Tree I am sure it is the aimme Gardenia tree. has anyone ever grown it and over wintered it in the norht east of the US?
7
7

some new pics
mostly irises: plus a clematis, killdeer eggs, wormies... things are growing along quite well so far, need a little more rain now. strawberries are starting to ripen. too bad i can't send out runners...