Subject Author Posted Replies

Propping up a young tree (in slightly unusual circumstances)
Hello, Sadly I lost my pet cat in a road accident and have subsequently buried her beneath a fairly young Columnar Apple tree in a large pot in my yard. The tree is looking a bit weak to stand up to...
6
6

Good perennial for indoors and later outdoors?
We live in the Denver area and have a 4' dual T8 tube light over a shelf in the living room, which I use for sprouting seeds in peat pots in the spring. But the light is kind of minimal for growing...
17
17

OT: Curiosity has landed
I'm sure I wasn't the only one glued to my computer for the direct feed from JPL last night! People went nuts when the Mars Surveyors* sent word that the giant Mars Science Laboratory (aka...

Weather anomalies
Hope I spelled that right Wondering if anybody else is experiencing unusual weather. Here, in coastal, where I have observed the weather cycle for [censored] years], everything used to be steady --...
5
5

Liquifying food scraps for fertilizer
Due to various reasons I am unable to keep a compost pile. Each week I throw out a small plastic bag of vegetable peelings and scraps. I had the idea of pureeing them, either in a blender or a food...
7
7

Romneya
Does anyone here grow Romneya? If so, what sort of conditions does it do best in? I have one plant and I must have it in the wrong positon because it's not thriving. I put it in an east facing...
2
2

how to rescue a ptilotus "joey"
Hi everyone, just joined so a big "HELLO " to everyone!!!!! I'm in need of some info, I recently purchased a ptilotus "Joey" from a store that was in need of rescuing but I'm not sure if it's going to...

Papyrus
I have long been in love with the looks of this plant. Am thinking about either buying a few or growing them from seed. But I hesitate because all the research I have done emphasizes boggy ground or...
4
4

Soil Dumping
I'm slowly converting my tiny suburban back area into a garden. Progress is slowed because of a chronic problem of landscapers dumping unused overburden on it. I understand why, because our local...
31
31

Growing a plant against my cottage
I want to grow a plant up the side of my cottage that won't ruin the render. Looking for something that will grow quickly and stays green most of the year. Ny ideas?
9
9

Help with Conifer hedge
Hi folks, this is my first post on your site after lurking about for several months. I wonder is anyone could be so kind as to offer any advice or opinion on the condition of my conifer hedge. I first...
5
5

Dutchman's pipe opinions
Bought 2 of these for a whopping $11 at menards yesterday and did a bit of research -- seems people really enjoy the vine ? Is it invasive? put up shoots everywhere? (bought the "durier" variety)....

some help please ?!
hi all. ive been wanting to ask a few questions for a while now but ive never got to taking pictures to upload for you guys. and i have finally so here goes. (in picture order) some of my lupin...
7
7

ID this plant?
A while back I posted a photo but people were not sure what it was. Now it has bloomed... from a point on the EDGE of a leaf! A sort of droopy pink blooms that flops down. Hope this pic makes it. I...
13
13

Lemon cucumbers are bitter
I have a lemon cucumber plant sharing an Earth Box with a yellow crooked neck squash. The lemon cucumbers are bitter. They are round and yellow when picked. The plant is watered into the water...
2
2