Subject Author Posted Replies

turnip questions
Hi All, I was thinking of growing some turnips this year. Questions: 1) what are the rules on ripping off the greens? How many to pick and how many to leave? And, cut, tear, pull from where? At the...
2
2

Problem with a maple tree - help!
Hi everyone I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I am having with the maple tree in my front garden.* It is a fairly large tree (about the height of the house) and is probably around...
2
2

some spring pics
ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and daffodils are not for sure, but... Lily Flowering Tulips Orange Flowering Tulips Pinkish Red Flowering Tulips Red White Red Tulip (still my favorite...
9
9

Clivia - when remove stalk
I think this was answered some years ago; just checking... ISTR the concensus was not to remove the stalk after bloom as long as it was still green, i.e. still furnishing nutrients to roots. T/F? TIA...
1
1

Late Start Garden
Is there any hope for starting a vegetable garden after June 1 in North America zone 5? If so, what should I plant? If not, what prep work should I do for gardening next year? We're closing on a house...
2
2

old soft tortillas
I had some tortillas I was going to throw away; they were over a month past the use by date and not so fresh. I thought it a waste to just go in the landfill so I threw them off the deck into the...
6
6

fairly new to roses - what are these yellow spots?
I planted 6 rose plants almost a month ago, and all of them seem to be growing fairly well. However, 1 of the plants has yellow spots on it. Most of them are on the lowest leaves, but I believe there...
6
6

Topsy-turvy's
I've got 2 topsy-turvy hanging planters that I've been growing tomatoes in for a couple of seasons. The first year the tomatoes did good, but the second year, not so good despite making sure the soil...
1
1

Non toxic, rabbit friendly plants!?
You want to feed pet rabbits with live plants? Doesn't make sense. Buy rabbit food.
6
6

Top Soil Purchasing
This is an international group, you need to give your location to get a sensible answer to this. Secondly buying online is not a good idea as you need to see and feel what you are buying. Soil varies...
3
3

beans over tulips
a few years ago i started planting various beans on top of the tulip patches when the plants start to die back. i was curious if the added moisture from watering the beans in to get them sprouted and...

HELP!-novice gardener in need of advice to clear BRAMBLE ROOTS!
Hi everyone So I have a major dilemma, last year Me and my partner cleared an area in our back garden( around 20x10ft) that was heavily densed by brambles and other forestry shrubs. We cleared it by...
4
4

Ideas for improving this second-generation home composting method
To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost, I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile: Checking this morning, I don't see evidence of animals digging up the salmon or...
28
28

To deadhead or not to deadhead !!!
Hello All, Firstly thanks for the responses in advance... i appreciate it. I'm very new to the whole gardening pastime, so would appreciate some help with this... I have a potted plant, inherited from...

In-line fertilizer system
We just bought a house with an inline fertilizer system, ( I think it's an= old system) there is a big tank and a small container connected to the irr= igation system. We have no idea of how to...
1
1