Subject Author Posted Replies

Dying Acer Advice
Whatever you thought was the soil line wasn't... you planted it too deep... you're lucky both trunks didn't die. Japanese maple is typically multi trunked... the soil line would be well below where...
4
4

Bill Who Putters, R.I.P.
Most of you remember Bill Who Putters. His eclectic knowledge seem to touch on every field from Tibetan Barley Bread to Regina to Ree's Classic Hot Wings < >to Deep Forest Pigmy's lullaby Many African...
4
4

Best pattern to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants?
I have a 4 x 6 matrix of spaces to plant 2 varieties of tomato plants with somewhat varying exposure to full vs almost full sun. What pattern is best, checkerboard, or alternate rows/columns?
11
11

first tomato spotted
This morning, noticed there is already a little tiny tomato forming on one of the plants. The plant is only about a foot tall and haven't staked it yet, but there's a little tiny tomato about the size...
7
7

Gardens with Bunnies

sprouts
was surprised to see beet sprouts already. these are growing in the first garden i prepped this spring (raised it up using deeply buried shredded bark/wood and added wood burning stove ashes)....

Bunium persicum
oh! sounds like an interesting plant... songbird

love in a mist
funny, to find out what i've been calling lantana is really a nigella and not a lantana at all. the type we have here is similar to the picture on the wiki site the picture notated: nigella in full...

Tree fern
If it looks just like last year, and it carried on to produce new fronds last year, then why are you worried? Many places spring is late this year. If it didn't produce any new fronds last year, then...
2
2

Asparagus harvesting?
Planted several Asparagus plants last season. They came back this season but were really thin. How many years should I wait to harvest - and when will they get thicker than a pencil? :-)
6
6

frost tonight....cover sweet corn?
first time growing sweet corn...they are about 1 to 2 inches. forecast is 30 degrees tonight should i cover? should i cover celery and swiss chard?
1
1

Advice on what to plant in a north facing border in northern climes...
Hello As a gardening newbie, I hope you can give some advice as in what to plant in a north facing border in Edinburgh. We have a north facing border at the side of our house. It gets very little sun...
2
2

Douglas Adams
In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move. -- Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Adams...
2
2

where to purchase a cactus
Hi Guys, I have asked my local nurseries and the closest thing they sell to a cactus is a yucca. I have looked on line with not so good result. Anyone know where I can buy a specific kind of Prickly...
8
8

Osmanthus fragrans between properties
Recently had huge hedge removed between me and neighbor. Now driving myself up the wall trying to decide what to put in vacant No Plants Land. West/North exposure on residential street in Southern...