Subject Author Posted Replies

Hey Billy...more on Polyface by Pollan
Michael Pollan Maybe you did this and I missed it. Nice read. Charlie http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/05/no_bar_code.htmlBy
1

Mowing surprise
I'd let my yard go, and finally decided to clean it up, starting with mowing the tall grasses in the back I usually just let grow all year round. I've had to work on it over a period of several days,...
1
1

Turkeys!!! Turkeys!!! Turkeys!!!
Yes turkeys, over a dozen real wild turkeys!! How can I keep them off of my newly seeded lawn area? They love to roll in the loose dirt!!! No, a fence is not an option! No, I don't want to fill my...
5
5

Problem with Damson tree
We have a Damson tree (Merryweather) in our garden which has a problem. Some of the leaves have become very "scrunched up" like a screwed up piece of paper and some of the fruits are turning yellow....
3
3

Serious case of plant lust
Heuchera 'Obsidian Though at $20 a pot, I may have to wait... BUT - I did make a major score at Home Goods today. 4 steamer style chairs at $60 each. Best we had found so far were $180 each and looked...
5
5

Dying carob tree in SF Bay area
My big carob tree is looking very sick. I did put in some drip irrigation around it to feed the surrounding vegetation, so I suspect the roots got waterlogged. The soil around here is mostly clay. I...
3
3

Disaster or Nightmare, Whatever.
I would like to take some good suggestions/advices here because I guess the garden people are all here. I am not a garden person myself, I hate lawn care. I did some crazy things, and probably ruined...
17
17

Low tech plant supports
I wasted time running around (or rather bussing around, as I have parked my car due to high insurance/gas charges) to various homeowner and garden places looking for bamboo stakes for my delicious and...
7
7

Apple Tree From Seed in Mid-Atlantic
My wife sowed some apple seeds from a grocery store apple, which germinated just fine. Would these things do ok in the Mid-Atlantic region? This was more of an experiment for our young kids, but I am...
21
21

ficus problem is building up
Hi I have read directions from this group about how to take care of ficus. I have them in a porch where they get all day indirect light, I water them only when the soil is dry and I don't move them...
2
2

How hard is it to transplant some lavender?
Denver: Our lavender is growing like weeds and taking over our planter beds here. I'd like to transplant SOME if it all over the yard and let it take over some other areas instead. How hard is it to...
5
5

Cedar Problems
I have a cedar hedge in Gander, Newfoundland, Canada. The trees have begun to lose their foliage in the lower half and the process seems to be extending progressively upwards. Our soil is a shallow,...
2
2

Worm question
When I was working by the pond today I noticed a worm(well I think it's a worm). But it wasn't your regular earthworm. It was VERY skinny and black. Like the size of a thick horsehair. I wouldn't have...
4
4

First come the birds...
This morning I noticed the marked presence of hummingbirds in my front yard. That is strange for my yard. Usually the hummingbirds are all in the back yard where the bulk of my veggie and floral...

Update on my Garden
Hi folks! It's been a while since I tuned into this newsgroup. I have different web access now and it took a while to get the newsgroups thing set up. I first started reading and posting here three...
28
28