Subject Author Posted Replies

Newly planted conifers dying?
I planted some young conifers about 2 ft high back in February and one has died completely and the otHers are still green but the tops have drooped Any ideas what's wrong with them?
3
3

Cut leaves part-way?
Sorry if I'm asking something I "should" know, but all these many years of gardening, I've never understood whether it's OK to cut part-way off leaves that are dried and ugly from the tips half-way...
16
16

Runner bean leaves eaten
My runner bean leaves are getting chewed down to a stub - fairly sure it's not slugs as the plants are in individual hosta haloes which have always worked well before plus no slime trails. Wondered if...
1
1

Bearded Iris (Re: Bulb questions...)
While I have grown bearded iris for years, I have not experimented much with the advice that I have read. That said, the advice I read long ago was that bearded iris will not bloom if they are planted...
3
3

Bulb questions...
I live in Marin County, CA...just across the Golden Gate Bridge. I just bought some quality bulbs on sale for dutch iris, lilium, and bearded iris. Should I plant them now or just keep them dry and...
8
8

Aloe Vera cuttings
Somebody gave me a whole ****load of BIG Aloe cuttings. Should I put in water for a few days before planting Or? (So. Calif coastal) TIA HB
3
3

cocoa mulch
Snopes has this article on danger to dogs from cocoa mulch. I don't use it but wonder how many do and if any problen. (If anyone is unfamiliar with Snopes, they are the Web's premium debunker of weird...
1
1

peach tree question
I planted a peach tree last spring........that is I transplanted it from a container. The Tree is about 6 foot tall and 1 inch diameter. fertilized about a month ago before buds broke with bat guano.....
1
1

Garden Sheds
High quality garden sheds built in the UK to last. Sheds direct is a manufacturer and retailer of high quality, affordable garden buildings delivered and erected on your premises. Our great value...
1
1

Please id this Camellia flower
Hi, this Camellia looks like a C. japonica cultivar but it opened its flowers in late Fall/Autumn. I thought this could be due to us living in zone 10. Can anyone perhaps identify it? I found it...
7
7

Bacopa - deadheading
Mine, in planter box on front porch, is looking yucky now that first bloom is finished. Went on-line and got more or less the same opinion about shearing, but would like to hear from NG members in...
2
2

Muget des bois...
...aka Lily of the Valley. May 1 always takes me back to Paris. The below article tells about the lovely custom of giving Muget des bois to your friends/colleagues/etc. Even my bitchy Left Bank...

mystery flower seeds
Can anyone identify these seeds? A friend gave me several and said they were 'pretty flowers'. But I'd like to identify them before I plant them this spring. Photo here:
6
6

Big chicken...
..that's me for not getting seed in the ground months ago. So I'm chickening out; buying little veggie plants from a good Japanese nursery. They only had Bantam corn, so I'll have to buy more...
6
6

Palm Feeding
I`ve just got hold of a Windmill Palm and was wondering what feed to use. I have been reading many articles regarding feed from using a high nitrogen feed to manure. Any advice would be grateful,...
3
3