Subject Author Posted Replies

Expected lilac growth in first few months?
I planted a common lilac shrub, about 2 feet tall, in the spring. It has grown very little over the past 3 months or so. Is this to be expected? Or is it perhaps indicative that the plant is subpar or...
3
3

Struggling to find homes for New Zealand Tree Ferns ranging in size from 7ft tall to over 10ft tall. PLEASE HELP
I bought over from New Zealand last year a container of Squarrosa Tree Ferns varying in size from 7ft tall to nearly 10ft tall. I thought there was a market for these taller ferns and since spending...

Trying to figure out what this plant is...
When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming... thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them. Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could...
12
12

First tomato
Today in sunny NH - a little yellow plum of unknown name (lost tag, thought I'd gotten two reds and a green) but a quick bite of pure sunshine. C
3
3

Mulch and compost helps drought-threatened trees
QUESTION: "My mother has an established Kwanzan Cherry tree. Last year the leaves turned yellow and dropped off prematurely and this year they are doing the same and are noticeably smaller than they...
4
4

I Heard From Madgardener!
Hi, all! I talked to Madgardener last night. She is doing fine, just got her telephone again and will be getting her computer up soon. Just thought I'd let you know. She will soon be back here! Yay!!!...
4
4

No Room to Grow Your Own?
Lots of options. Many more hits available. 't let vacant land remain vacant. Brighten up the ugliness. Charlie...

Eco-Junk: Why Buying Less Is More Than Buying Green - Monbiot
It's all about attitudes. It's about "Accept the truth and act upon it." We're in a world of hurt, folks, and it's likely too late to change course. It is time for mitigation and remediation and...
3
3

Hot water vs Roundup
I finally got around to dealing with an area, approx 3 ft circumference, under one of the water faucets, where the hose lies coiled (when it isn't sprawling over the lawn ). I've tried various ground...
36
36

underbrush removal
We recently moved into a newly constructed home that borders a stream. Around the stream are some beautiful trees, but unfortunately they're being chocked by vines. Also there is just a tremendous...
11
11

shrub recommendation - salt tolerant, arborvitae like
I originally was going to put in a line of Arborvitae pyramidalis (emerald green) along the east side of our church, but some more research showed that the salt from the parking lot could make this a...
3
3

bleeding heart question
I have a bleeding heart planted in a pot on my front porch. It (normally) has brilliant white flowers that "bleed" red. Recently the flowers are pink and not bleeding. Is this normal for these plants?...

Saw my first monarch today
on my milkweed and butterfly bushes( the same ones that are so aphid infested). If the monarch should lay eggs on the milkweed, where do they normally lay? I would hate to scrape off the butterfly...

Hi Y'all, A while back I mentioned a problem we are having with the local DOT wanting to take out our water source thru our pasture. (don't remember what thread it was on.) Got some good advice from...
77
77

Indoor Cultivation of Digitalis
Hello, I was browsing around the internet trying to find a good plant to have in my new apartment and I came across the Digitalis (Foxglove) and thought I found a winner. I was wondering if anyone had...
3
3