Subject Author Posted Replies

Planting grass where evergreen tree used to be
A recent storm knocked down one my evergreen trees which probably had a diameter of at least twenty feet, so nothing was growing underneath it. I plan to plant grass there, and since evergreen trees...
4
4

Where has chicory gone?
In upstate New York, about this time, I always saw wild chicory, "ragged sailors," growing along the road. This year, nada, and I've driven from NYC to upper Mass. Where has all the chicory gone? BobC
5
5

Help...milkweed with no leaves. Caterpillars hungry!
My milkweed has been almost bare for a long time now that the monarchs have been laying eggs and the caterpillars have devoured them. I kept thinking the leaves would grow back, but they haven't,...
2
2

rust spots on my pear tree
Hi, first time I'v 'posted', and i need your help! Moved into our ne house three weeks ago, has a large established garden, and we dont kno anything about gardening, so i will be picking your brains...
4
4

A new garden.
Well, yesterday I finally filled in the hole left by that big Miscanthus that I had DS remove for me. I pulled all the weeds, left the glads that seem to have survived since I planted them 15 years...
4
4

Update from Faerie Holler....
Hey, Maddie here...... .........and now, for gardening updates, heat waves, hummers, Lunar moths, black widows, and creepy cousin Wolf spiders in Faerie Holler.... The heat wave here in Faerie Holler...
5
5

August 11th message from madgardener
Maddie, I hope I've done right; your email header said to edit so I just left in the gardening bit! Janet Maddie says "The heat wave here in Faerie Holler has produced more droughts, higher prices in...

Maddie ask for this to be posted
Hey, Maddie here...... The heat wave here in Faerie Holler has produced more droughts, higher prices in milk and bread due to grain prices the farmers are having to pay, lower gasoline prices for...
20
20

plums
can anyone tell me when to pick plums, when they are red&green or whe they are red all over, if i leave them on tree bugs start to eat the -- timbuc2
5
5

How to get rid of white flies - any home remedies or top tips to offer me?
Hello, My sunflowers have attracted tiny white flies and I would like to ge rid of them but am clueless as to how! I live in Spain so don't imagine the preferred UK products will b available to me -...
2
2

Crazy idea? Connecting my pool drain to my sprinkler system?
OK I have the pool drain that is a 2" pipe and it drains into my back yard right now. When I drain it basically my back yard floods to about an inch or two in depth and the water receds after an hour...

Sprinkler System
I am in zone 10 in Miami, FL and my sprinkler heads often get knocked out or damaged by lawn mowers. I got a few landscape guys to take a look and they proposed two methods to solve it. One proposed...
3
3

tap vs. filtered water, and how often?
Since my indoor dracaena recently took a turn for the worst, I thought I'd ask some basic questions before I replace it. It was healthy for two years, except for brown at the edge of the leaves so I...
12
12

Snakes and Bird Netting
Today I had to cut away some bird netting from a black snake that was entangled in it. The netting was over the top of the garden, but some of it was on the ground and this what the snake was in. My...
11
11

Deer fence?
Ok, I gave up on tomatoes this year because the deer ate them, but now they are eating my squash plants. In the Winter they eat my pine trees.
14
14