Subject Author Posted Replies

Craftsman Lawn Tractor shuts off.
I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor that needs to be jump started to get going but used to run fine once it started. It will restart on its own once it runs continuously for 10-15 minutes. As of today, it...
2
2

New Zealand Seasonal Prospects?
Well, here in NZ, we are now up to Labour Weekend. But, really, the weather just isn't looking reliable at all. I am in an especially windy spot, hit hard by southerlies. A few nights ago, the wind...
5
5

groundcovers
I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,...
14
14

Does anyone know the best way to compost?
Hi, I?m looking at setting up a home composting unit to ecologicall dispose of grass clippings. I?m just looking for inspiration on th best ways to compost. - Do you compost your grass clippings? -...
3
3

Kalanchoe in winter
Hello I've a couple of Kalanchoe, is it ok to keep them on a kitchen window, though it can be quite cold at night.. or should they be kept in the living room where its warmer, but there's less light....
1
1

Tree Problems
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive. Troubles in the Rhizosphere Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting up "Tree Planting" Mulching - Look up "Mulch"...
6
6

help a first-time vegetable grower please
Hi all.. I am a first time grower (thought technically second, as last week was my first time and I managed to kill everything I planted in ONE DAY!!) Amazing, huh? I planted all my tomatoes directly...
6
6

RAISED BEDS
I just finished restructuring my garden of 30 years..made 4 raised beds 4' X 10' X12"...my wife will be planting some flowers in the spring on one of the beds, I will used the remainder for my...
1
1

Another Coleus question
I was just looking at some of the Coleus in the garden and was wondering if keeping some of the seed or flower stems over the winter, if they can be put in potting soil in the spring in the house to...
4
4

pampass grass
(am i spelling pampas correctly?) I bought a miniature one some years ago and planted it in the middle o my front lawn. Turns out i have been missold because it is huge now about ten feet tall? and is...
3
3

Advice on Wisteria and olive tree
I am new to gardening so hopefully someone can help. I bought a 4m hig wisteria (grafted) to be planted on the front of my house. I have see these over bay windows and it looks really good. My...
2
2

We are screwed
Not sure whether this is the correct group to state this, however. If the human population keeps on as it presently, the planet is screwed. rob
21
21

Protecting Small-Scale Food Projects from the Ground Up
Once again, we have a program that is actually working that is seriously underfunded. And now, in the new farm bill, it is de-funded. I wonder, is it simply an oversight, or yet another way to create...
1
1

mulching with pine needles?
I live in zone 5 and was wondering if mulching beds this time of year with the long pine needles that fall from my trees is beneficial, or if it adds too much acidity to the soil. The ground where my...
4
4

prickly pear propagation
Can a prickly pear be grown from a pad cut from another prickly pear? If so, is the donor pad cut in half, then planted? Thanks, Alan
2
2