Subject Author Posted Replies

Hibicus
Any chance my hibiscus can survive the winter indoors? It has been such a trooper. Flowers from mid-May until now. Perhaps it isn't worth the hassle. It was our first one. Thanks in advance. Paul...
4
4

Paul's Scarlet Hawthorn
A year ago, I purchased a "Paul's Scarlet Hawthorn" tree for only $20 dollars. What a deal for a great looking tree, at least from the picture on it's tag. Now the problem. My neighbor came by for a...

Small tree - ideas what it is please?
Just stayed at a large country house in Oxfordshire. In the garden was a tree/bush about 5 feet high. Leaves were green, narrow and pointed. What was striking was the fruit/seeds. On each branch just...
7
7

Fleas... I'm a magnet.
Ok, so fleas and mosquitoes love me. I'm not sure why, it could be a body chemistry thing or a slightly higher body temp. All I know is that my wife and I can be standing in the same room... Her, they...
48
48

moisture sensor for sprinkler system
Has anyone seen a soil moisture sensor for use with sprinkler system timers that works wirelessly? I have a rain sensor that defeats the timer if rain is falling, and I've seen a similar unit that...

Roses
I have a slope that slipped in 2005 in a record-breaking rain storm. It was finally repaired this summer. The regrading impacted the rose bed at the foot of the slope. Impacted? Not even stumps of...
6
6

Wooden mulch, bird baths, cats
To make a long story short, I am worrying about whether wood mulch (Cedar Nuggets from Home Depot to be precise) is safe for cats to run on or jump onto? Or small metal bird baths placed on that...
28
28

Carrion Plant
Someone gave me a house plant several years ago and then disappeared without IDing it. It didn't seem too remarkable until it bloomed. The flowers are huge and closely resemble a starfish. They're...
2
2

Derelict garden
I moved to a new home in Feb this year and the garden is completely overgrown with weeds! The garden apparently has not been tended for approx 3 years and having watched the garden over the spring and...
23
23

Pseudolithos seed germination
Howdy. I have managed to get hold of a few Pseudolithos seeds, and I don't want to screw it up! Does anyone have any knowledge on the correct soil mixture, temperature, light, water, etc. for...
2
2

Novice requests advice?
We "greenified" a slice of land in an urban semi-industrial section of New York City. Planted a bunch of stuff last fall...shrubs, tomatoes, eggplant, onions, a couple trees, grass, etc. Huge...
11
11

What is Your Favorite Online Nursery?
Ok, so inquiring minds want to know. What is your favorite online nursery to order plants from. If you order from several, what types of plants do you order from each. IE: Trees at blah Perennials at...
27
27

Garden, Garlic, and Soil Report
Just got done planting the garlic. This is our first go with garlic. Planted 75 big cloves. I read somewhere about planting the small cloves to use in the spring as garlic "scallions", so I've about a...
46
46

Dwarf Weeping Willow
Hi all Just moved house to where there is a mature garden. I am a ver amatuer gardener. There is a dwarf weeping willow that looks lik something has been eating the leaves. I have removed all the...
4
4

Harty Mum Question
I purchased a small harty mum in a container. If I keep it in my house with it survive? Would it be a perrential if I maintain it properly? Thanks Tom
8
8