Subject Author Posted Replies

Plants that reseed
In the zone 5 when a plant goes to seed in late summer or fall I need to kn ow how best to get more plants to germinate from the seed. Take coneflower for instance. I would think it's best to gather...
7
7

Transplanting butterfly weed
Wife has been raising Monarch butterflies this summer. I stopped at a vacant lot on the way home from work Friday-a-week-ago to pick a couple of milkweeds to feed her caterpillars, and I noticed this...
3
3

Planter design for shallow rooted plants
I'm considering making some "sculptural" planters out of hypertufa, Hypertufa is concrete mixed with sphagnum moss and either vermiculite or perlite. This makes a somewhat lightweight porous...
5
5

Finally something good from a severe winter, maybe
For the second year, we're seeing practically no Japanese beetles. Two years ago, my wife and I could spend hours of quality time together, picking the beetles off our sand cherries, shrub roses and...
3
3

Plant talk
Hi All, I watched a fascinating documentary called "What Plants Talk About" on Netflix/Roko. I do believe you can watch it on line at: Apparently, plants actually cooperate as well as complete with...

Tiny "old" potatoes
I bought some of those delicious tiny potatoes. Put them in veg bin along w ith other potatoes -- small red. Went to nuke tinies today. SPROUTING! If they're babies, why are they prematurely...
16
16

Lawn Aerator
Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon barrel with a row of aerator tubes fastened around each head? The one I'm looking for is pulled by hand. I have too much area to cover...
54
54

[OT] water sites and permaculture
sometimes when i need more reading or inspiration... as the topic of water availability has often come up here i thought i would post these two links which i find very interesting about the water...

Squash bugs
Hi All, Got my first squash bug sighting on one of my zukes today. A big sucker too. What is the best organic method of making them leave? I got Chrysanthemum spray, neam oil, hot sauce, soap, black...
9
9

Tenacity for Nimblewill also kills crabgrass
For grins, I tried spraying the Tenacity I got to kill the Nimblewill in my lawn on some of the crabgrass in my lawn. It worked great. Now I have se veral more pale spots in my yard, but the Tenacity...

USA politics and culture wars
Please let it go you two. You are just shouting past each other. It is of absolutely no interest and quite OT. D
15
15

freebies
ah, we asked today if we could scavange bricks from the house that has just had two old fireplaces replaced after the tornado damaged them. a large roll on container is sitting there with piles in it....
4
4

tomato plant yellow?
have 16 tomato plants. Lots of leaves on one of the roma tomato plants is turning yellow. I am fearing whatever is causing the problem will spread to the others. Should i pull the plant?

Passion saga
Same passionfruit saga,the main vine bore fruit in dec January or so, the off shoots continued with the little yellow ones for a while, they have now stopped BUT the big ones have stayed the same...

Rabbit!
Hi All, I went out in the dark with a flash light to water my garden. Found the cutest little wabbit (Elmer Fudd speak for "rabbit") about the size of a baseball taking a nap in my zukes. He got a...
62
62