Subject Author Posted Replies

Five ways to protect plants from Old Man Winter
A single night of harsh winter weather can undo all the TLC you lavished on your plants from the spring to the fall. But a little care and attention now can ensure your plants survive to thrive again...

selecting trees
Do not buy or sell trees that have flush cut branches, tops removed, pruning cuts that leave long branch stubs or leader stubs, trunk covered with some wrapping, cracks, cankers, and wounds. Would you...

greenhouse growing medium
Hi all, I recently bought a polytunnel/greenhouse and erected the structure in my backyard. My question relates to how to grow vegetables in it. The most obvious solutions would be in either the...
5
5

squirrels
Can someone help me ID these Squirrels. they flying squirrels? Specifically which ones? Are they threatened and endangered species? If not sure can someone point me in the right direction Thank very...
6
6

Greenhouse
I'm looking for a small, indoor greenhouse with a built-in grow light. Any suggestions? Can you even buy such a thing?
2
2

Should you deadhead hyacinths?
Last sign of blue was about a week ago. Should I take the tops off? -- Robert Pearson ParaMind Brainstorming Software Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
3
3

Which vine(s) for this type of wall?
I have a rather long and tall block retaining wall in front of my house similar to this type of stone: wall is facing North-East with no trees or other obstructions. If you had this wall in your front...
5
5

OT - can opener
Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its becoming a problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of dog food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use...
28
28

Roads and Forest
It seems like we are growing many roads with a tree here and there and calling that a forest. What is the solution? Close most of the roads! One of the biggest parks in Europe is doing just that! So...

What's going on under the ice in your pond
It's turned super cold here in Iowa. I've always wondered exactly what happens uner the ice in my pond. This article is a great source of information the Winter effect on koi, goldfish and ponds....
8
8

Black dot on the bottom of my tomato.
Hi all, I've been experiencing some really impressive growth on my tomato plants over the last month. All of them have big tomatoes growing, particularly the beefsteak ones, almost as big as my palm,...
5
5

non-ornamental crabapple
we're building a barn, which unfortunately has to be located where my one & only crabapple tree was (it's already cut down). it was a decent, but small-fruited, edible crabapple. i'd like to replace...
5
5

pruning Bradfords
thanks in advance... I live in central NC and have 3 Bradfords that I'd like to prune to protect the house and the trees too. One is about 14" trunk diameter (15 years) and 25' tall.... the other 2...
4
4

Viticulture II
Thanks for the kind words... maybe next time you guys can be nicer. not the only one asking questions here. People don't appreciate being spoken to like you guys did (Val and JoeSpareBedroom) You guys...
17
17

Somethig different "words" "Myths"
A very wise man once told me: Everyone should read the book by Plato. It features Socrates in discussions with friends and others. Socrates is trying to find a definition for justice. The famous cave...
4
4