Subject Author Posted Replies

Wild tomatoes
Science to the rescue Breed tame with wild. HB The genome of Solanum pennellii, a wild relative of the domestic tomato, has been published by an international group of researchers. The new genome...

Figs!!!!
Few months ago, bought some plants inexpensively from a man who was selling them off his back lot. Big, fat cactus, few other plants -- and a baby 3' fig tree that I bought just for its attractive...
6
6

¡Tomatillo!
Hi All, Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba! Those things taste good! (4 grams carbs per 1/2 cup too!) Figured out when to harvest them too. Wait for the fruit to burst out of...
12
12

It's not just me!
All around me have had a similarly miserable veg. season. Even my dear gardener (who mows one week and does special jobs the alternate week) says HE had lousy luck. Like mine, his corn cobs were only...
2
2

one tomato plant not growing any tomatoes
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one plant has not had any. It is the plant the has grown the best and biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6...
20
20

Cuttings vases
I want to make something to mount in a south facing window to root cuttings (coleus, ivy etc). I want to use some small bottles and was wondering if a colored bottle (amber etc) would be better than...
13
13

OT: ? Strange bedfellows...
...or "it's about time". Religious conservatives and the EPA First few graphs: WASHINGTON -- The Rev. Lennox Yearwood punched his fist in the air as he rh ythmically boomed into the microphone: "This...

when to pick eggplant?
Hi All, With my black thumb, my two eggplants are probably half normal size. So I can't judge when to pick based on size from the grocery store. I got 7 pretty fruits a growing on the two plants and...
7
7

My running black thumb zuke count
Hi All, Of my 14 zuke plants, here is my black thumb running total. two weeks ago: two fruit one week ago: two fruit this week: one fruit Think I should fertilize? When the local organic farm was open...
24
24

My weird bees
Hi All, Just small talk. I asked a farmer customer / friend of mine about my weird bees. I described their looks and how they moved at right angles. And how they darted at you. He said they are called...
3
3

OT: Business is bad
Shocking! Unlike the pop media -- which uniformly focusses on Vietnam-style body coun ts w/o history or context -- Fortune Magazine actually published a sympathe tic article on how the Hamas rocketing...
18
18

Most nutritious potatoes?
Recently read that potatoes with "yellow" flesh are more nutritious. At Farmers Market yesterday, asked potato guy. He agreed, but added that the MOST nutritious (can't remember what is the good...
11
11

What plant is this?
These plants are about three feet tall, with very small light yellow flowers and very distinctive leaves. Any idea what they might be? Thanks.

OT: Small frequent meals better?
Sorry, need to start new thread; my messages re: above are being swamped in the ongoing, er, "conflict". Based on some earlier posts mentioning snacking, I got curious about the "r eceived wisdom"...
17
17

Newbie Help! What plants??
Hello, Im an absolute newbie to gardening - i really dont have much of a clue. Plus with a toddler and a baby i dont have much time either to research things. I would like to re-vamp the garden,...
3
3