Subject Author Posted Replies

Growing grass in an extremely windy area - large lawn
I built a house near the Potomac River in the Northern Neck of VA. I have two acres and construction disrupted about 3/4 of an acre. Even though it was in the middle of summer which is a bad time to...
5
5

drip irrigation
I've "volunteered" to help fix up the drip irrigation around a house, nice old 1992-vintage Hardie Irrigation system with at least four circuits, bad programming, leaky hoses, ... Two newbie...
3
3

"Christmas (maybe crab) Cactus" question
I have a "Christmas Cactus", Schlumbergera truncata(?), that has never really bloomed much over the years: some years one or two blossoms in Feb., some years none. This year it bloomed from the second...
2
2

Chickens and mulching
Have last year's raised garden overrun with Bermuda grass. Couldn't keep up with it for weeding. I remember the chicken coop and fenced in area around it many years ago growing up. The chickens kept...
6
6

Garden prep
We bought a house with a garden. Irrigation system in, but I will be making some changes. The soil locally is blow sand from red sandstone. A friend of mine gave me a big tiller for doing some work to...
5
5

Me and My Lucky Bamboo
I live in Florida, near Ocala. I have what I have been told is a "Lucky Bamboo" plant. About two weeks ago, I mistakenly left it outside for too long and it has been turning brown, getting worse. Does...
2
2

Pollan Video...The Omnivore's Next Dilemma
For all you Pollan fans. Interesting viewpoint. Enjoy. What if human consciousness isn't the end-all and be-all of Darwinism? What if we are all just pawns in corn's clever strategy game to rule the...
3
3

Leaves falling off? ? ?
I an growing a tea olive -- osmanthus fragrens -- in a pot. This is supposed to be an outdoor plant that grows 12 feet or more, but it's pretty much confined to the deep south. My bush endured for...
1
1

New guy needs help!
sockiescat wrote in news: tomato hornworms do not & *cannot* "sting". you can pick them off with your fingers. they won't hurt you. however, in the interests of accuracy, those big green caterpillers...
3
3

Alternative Soil Amendments
Good info on "alternative" soil amendments and improving soil structure. site has much of interest for the organic gardener and issues of sustainability. Caretaker Farm | ATTRA | Sustainable...
2
2

Watering with soft water
I believe that the hose bibs on the outside of my house are hooked to the soft water system. Is there any disadvantage to watering with soft water? They're about to turn on the irrigation water system...
56
56

On making playing in the garden easier.
I installed a large mail box in my back yard. I keep a variety of hand tools there. Saves walking about for a trowel or pruner etc. Twine and marking tape along with other infrequent stuff lives there...

Vegetable garden and the ants
Haven't done any vegetables in a few years and as I now live in a mobile home, the space is somewhat limited. All I'm wanting at the moment are some pole beans. My choices for growing are large pots...
2
2

opinion on Helleborus
I live in Seattle, zone 8ish (maybe different as I'm in the foothills of the mountains) and talking to a nursery owner about some perennials for a filtered sun area he recommended potentially some...
1
1

Experience with noursefarms.com?
Anyone ever had any dealings with before? I've got them sourced for Elderberry bushes at a really good price. Since I need 10-15 of them, paying $20ea for racemosa is a stretch. I don't mind if...
1
1