Subject Author Posted Replies

Neem as pesticide - how effective against Japanese beetle?
Hi everyone, Heard it on the radio today that neem is a great organic pesticide that can be used against Japanese beetle. I have never heard of neem before and had to run a small search on the Net....
21
21

Tomatoes - First time grower
Hi everyone, I sowed all the tomato seeds that were in the packet (around 30 seeds) in a 5 by 5 cm pot and I have just read that I should have sowed 1-2 seeds per pot or all the seeds across a wider...
3
3

Pine Tree Question
Hi everyone - I am planning on putting in a brick patio in my backyard and would like to put it next to a large pine tree (50 feet tall). My question is this - wince I need to dig down 6 - 8 inches to...
10
10

Bat Houses
So which of you around here have bat houses put up? Which style box are you using and how does it do? Still trying to hash out what the best box would be for this area and its orientation.
8
8

Yeah....Peak Soil!
;-) So, what?s the solution? The answer to peak oil is peak soil. The more people who have their hands in it and have a little of it under their fingernails, the better placed we will be to feed our...
4
4

Twisted branches on indoor tomatoes
I'm growing tomato plants under a high pressure sodium light. They are about a month old, very healthy looking, and have just started to bloom. Despite looking healthy much of the new branches are...
7
7

Does anyone recognise this fungi?
You posted that at Some security software (including mine, ZoneAlarm) blocks that site for some reason. Post your picture(s) at a place like instead. Photobucket
3
3

Fence basics
I live in rural Utah. Extreme SW. We have all manner of critters around here, mainly, but not limited to rabbits, some deer, skunks, gophers, chipmunks, marmots, and a few others. We are putting in...
4
4

Fixing erosion / a lawn that never took, during a drought?
In North Carolina, we remain in severe drought conditions. I have a newish house where the lawn never took. Besides eroding swales I need to fix, part of the "lawn" slopes and the top soil is eroding....
3
3

Buying seed germination blankets larger than 4' x 50'?
I have a large swale (corner lot) that I need to prevent erosion on. It's newish construction, and whatever the builder put in there did not take. Doesn't help that we're in a drought (North...
1
1

Backyard Fence
Just like gardening, you gotta prepare the bed. So it probably ain't gonna happen real soon but I'm gonna lean up against this fence and see who comes by. Never can tell.
45
45

Inspiration needed
Hi All I decided at one point what a great idea it was to make my old 2000 gallon sunken pond bigger and removed everything and started digging. A year later and i have a baby and no motivation to...
2
2

New plant varieties surprise even seasoned gardeners
One of the delights of owning a nursery, as Cheryl and I do, is the continual discovery of new plants or plants we never before knew existed. Just when we think we must have seen it all, botanists and...

Hanging plants
I have four hanging baskets that I want to plant with something. It's a toss up between strawberries and flowers. I could us some advice on the type of strawberry or some help in finding flowering...
48
48

Advice on Planting Dahlia's and Begonia's
Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I live in Essex & this year I have 12 Dahlia and 18 Begonia bulbs/tubers to plant. This is the first time at planting bulbs (I am a relatively new...
7
7