Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Woodcock video posted in Rec.birds and other stuff
American Woodcock observed today in Eastern Ontario: Below nonsense and music. EnjoY.....

Scott Fiore has a question about desert trees
Hi, I live in a Sunset zone 12 (Intermediate Desert) and am looking to plant some fast growing shade trees. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! -Scott Fiore
7
7

Sweet peas dying too soon.
My sweet peas grew very well and flowered well but some started dying out too soon. I have grown sweet peas for years but this is the first time this is occurring. I am located along the coast in So....
5
5

seddlings have thin stems
I have planted seeds in growing trays. I was wondering why some of the plants seem to have a very thin stem at the soil level. The rest of the plant stem is thick but the thinning of the stems seems...
2
2

Water feature - source for tubing and fittings?
I need a reducing adapter to fit 1/2" vinyl tubing to the 11/16" outlet fitting on a pump. Web searches return hundreds of hits, and if I needed a truckload of fittings I could easily find them, but...
5
5

To lawn roll or not?
I need to fix a yard that has ruts due to moles and erosion that increased the depth of the ruts to be deep enough to twist an ankle. I figured that I could roll the lawn to decrease the depth of the...
5
5

Growing ivy or roses over a metal shed?
Hi, I am new at gardening and I want to get a new clean looking metal shed (because cheaper than wood and plastic sheds). My family want me to buy an expensive kind of barn or shed but they just spend...
5
5

Transplanting/dividing daylillies
I have a clump of 'Halls Pink' which I've neglected to divide for eight years. It hasn't bloomed in two years and is tightly packed in a clump. I would like to divide them now, but I live in Texas and...
9
9

Care for your gardening hands.
Hello. My fiance and I love to garden and found that sometimes our hands become pretty dry and in need of attention. We came across some Gardener's Hand Care and wanted to pass that along. It can be...
1
1

Hose connector search
Hi folks, My first post here so go easy with me. Apologies if this is in the wrong section or not appropriate to this forum. I am having trouble tracking down a replacement hose connector as pictured...
4
4

Beyond the Macintosh
May I call your attention to an enchanting article in the May "Atlantic" about a man in Maine who has devoted his career to rescuing the heirloom apples that New Englanders used to grow in their back...

enticements for bees
Hi to all gardeners Does anyone have any suggestions on how to entice bees to increase their numbers? What flowers do they particularly like? Do those little bee houses actually work? I no longer use...
6
6

landscape/garden maintenance on hills
Hello, My backyard is mostly a large hill. Over the past few days I have been remulching it and this has proven to be just an arduous and dangerous task due to lousy footing on the hill. With the...
8
8

Gardens and life philosophy stuff
I'm not suggesting you subscribe or pay for this. But it may garner interest. Bill who thinks a garden maintains connection to the other. Happy garden yield happy gardener and Vasa versa . Trash along...
1
1

Italian buckthorn a good hedge?
Hailing from San Diego, Zone 21 or 10a. I need to grow a hedge to screen out a cantankerous neighbor. Needs to be 10 to 15' tall, maybe 5 to 10' wide, a solid screen. I can put the plants on my drip...
2
2