Subject Author Posted Replies

Anyone familiar with Gardena sprinklers? Triangular lawn?
I need new sprinklers for the following tasks: (1) Watering two 60'x40' TRIAGULAR lawns. Imagine a 60x40 rectangle cut into two halves along a diagonal, that's what I have. (2) 20'x20' rectangular...
9
9

Combining fertilizers
Equal parts of 5-1-1 and 0-10-10 (Alaska Fish and Alaska Morbloom, great stuff) would yield what NPK figure?
3
3

Handy Water Figure to Know
I'm harvesting rain water and found this that lets me figure how much water to put on my beds this summer. # "If we take 1 square foot of ground, 12" X 12" and have 1 inch of rain, we end up with .623...
12
12

Reason we still direct seed is that our direct-seeded tomatoes harvest earlier than the transplanted ones
³The only reason we still direct seed is that our direct-seeded tomatoes harvest earlier than the transplanted ones,² Sheely says. Had to say it twice. My Dad said that when it is ripe to plant they...
8
8

Potting soil
Tell me again, why isn't potting soil re-used? I'm getting ready to pot the sweet basil in the pots that I used last year. It seems a little manure would, rock phosphate, wood ash, and bone meal would...
16
16

rooting willows
i swiped a branch of curly willow from the table arrangement at the wedding i attended last weekend. i also cut a branch from a pussy willow (the guys that cut under the utility lines cut down the...
2
2

Great garden day yesterday
I got the path to the neighbor raked out and a good 50% of the top beds. All the grasses but one are done in the front. Looks murky out today and I have to go to work later any way, so I'll be doing...
3
3

Sprinkler time again
It was some winter in Midwest, but we can begin to think of sprinklers again! As an excited newbie, I'd like some help selecting the best sprinklers for my tasks: (1) I have two small gardens in the...
10
10

Container Garden: Transplanting Mint
Mint is pretty hard to kill. And it WILL take over the yard if planted in the ground, trust me! I think it also root in water. Good luck
5
5

Gardening and Health
It seems as I age the topic of health keeps intruding on my consciousness. Here are two sites that touch on this issue. Bill who knows what Melanoma and CAD is and has a spouse due for knee...
12
12

Plants die off each year
I have a large perennial garden here in zone 5. I am losing many plants per year over the winter and all varieties are well suited to zone 5. Most of the divisions I made from larger plants were lost...
6
6

Mosquito Repellent
Hi, I saw a AgraCo Mosquito Patch in the store today. Has anyone tried them? I am bug fodder when outside which curtails any but minimal gardening. Anything else to try that I needed coat myself with?...
3
3

100 Pounds of Food/Year From a 12 Square Foot Plot?
I didn't see any reference in the article to organic farming being more labor intensive. Perhaps it is with weeding, but then it is a trade-off between paying for poison to pour on the ground or...
42
42

Sprouts withering and dying
I've sprouted a few things (tomatoes, pinto beans, carrots) in plastic bags on a wet paper towel. If they go dry for just a day they more or less die. The plants I've sprouted outside in the ground...
1
1

Just arrived
My first post, so I don't know anybody :) Does anyone know how to keep a hare from eating my prize Japanese maples? or my new peas? or the fresh sprouts of lettuce? etc etc? :)
1
1